Game Systems Designer
3 days ago
Have you spent the majority of your life immersed in games, picking them apart and identifying the things you love, the things that drive you nuts, and the things you wish the developer tried? Do you have a hard drive full of PvP games that you’ve played over the years, and a bottomless pit of memories you can recall playing games with your friends. Have you been a part of teams that have shipped titles, or did you play a part in helping build a relationship between players and devs, well then you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for! We're on the hunt for a designer capable of flexing into all facets of design, from content creation to meta progression, and loves figuring out how it all ties together to create the experiences that have kept you saying “just one more” over the years.
- Collaborate on pitches for games, content, and features that align with making “Games you Live”.
- Work with other designers, artists, engineers, to build prototypes to quickly validate project hypotheses.
- Iterate on initial designs based on feedback from the team and fully own the areas you’re responsible for.
- Responsible for the quality of your work outputs, including bug fixing, balancing etc.
- Manage multiple design projects in parallel (character design, meta game progression, UX design etc.
- 3+ years of industry experience in game design roles.
- Design flexibility conducive to working on all facets of a game.
- Effective communicator who can drive a vision in the absence of art or data to validate an idea.
- Capable of giving and receiving critical feedback to other creatives in service of making the best game for our (future) players.
- Great critical thinker who can draw on a wealth of knowledge and examples from games you’ve played or built over the years.
- Effective working autonomously. We’re still small, but even as we get larger we don’t plan on having someone look over your shoulder every day; we want you to feel comfortable allocating your time wisely and making good on your commitments.
- Strong analytical skills that aid in understanding and articulating what makes games great.
- Excited to work as part of a small knit team, and your teammates are excited to work with you.
- Genuine ambition and excitement to rise to the challenge of trying to help us take on the titans of the industry.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with a modern game engine (Unreal/Unity).
- Experience developing mobile games.
Things you don’t need:
- A fancy big name studio on your resume. We care far more about your personal competency and potential, not where you’ve worked.
- A degree (unless needed for immigration) - some of the best creatives we’ve ever worked with never finished school, why would you be any different.
- Prior experience in a pure design capacity. We’re more excited about people with a creative mindset and deep understanding and love of games.
- Dental/Vision/Pharmacare coverage. Canada has universal health care, so you and your family don't need to worry about health insurance.
- Open paid-time-off policy with 2 week minimum enforced by the company. We trust you to take time off when you need it.
- Competitive salaries (benchmarked to Canada) that value your experience and dedication.
- Stock options in an early stage startup. We want you to be motivated to stick with us for the long haul.
- Annual game stipend. We can all learn so much from new games coming out.
- Relocation & Immigration Assistance
Odyssey Interactive is a Canadian Game Development studio formed around the mantra of building "Games you Live". We believe that the best games are the ones you think about long after you put them down, that help you feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself, and that you believe you can invest in for years to come.
We're on a mission to build games with the same emotional potential as the games we fell in love with growing up, but designing them with a mobile first mindset. We believe the next generation of gamers is going to the be most connected, the most diverse, and the most relentlessly driven generation this world has ever seen - and for them phones aren't just a tool, they're an extension of their body. We believe they deserve the same quality of games that we feel in love with so many years ago.
The founding team is comprised of 4 former leads from Riot Games where we led teams such as a the League of Legends Balance Team, the League of Legends Champion Design team, and the development of Teamfight Tactics - and are excited to try to build a world class studio with an awesome team...a team that you could be a part of!