4 months ago
As a Game Director at Ubi MTL, you transform a creative vision into a variety of systems and mechanics that combine to create an engaging experience for players to enjoy. You provide your team with the general guidelines to design their specific gameplay features, and allow them the flexibility to experiment and iterate.
While your designers focus on their areas of ownership, you pay attention to the larger picture, overseeing the game’s overall outcome: progression, pace, balance, and – of course – quality. You ensure that all elements related to design work together cohesively to fit the intended experience and make it fun.
What you’ll do
- Work with the creative director and other core team members to define the game and unify your visions.
- Develop your game design direction + communicate (and emphasize) it across the production floor.
- Support your game designers in developing their features (e.g. gameplay rules, progression systems, combat systems, weapon attributes, artificial intelligence behaviours, 3Cs, etc.) + provide mentorship and constructive feedback to achieve quality.
- Collaborate with interdependent teams to align all design, technical, graphic, and narrative elements.
- Review and discuss budgets & timelines with the producer + keep the editorial team up to date on progress and milestones.
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, feedback, and play test results; readjusting your design direction when need be.
- Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components; interpreting data to inform decision-making.
- Occasionally travel locally and abroad to present the game, meet with external partners, visit co-dev studios, etc.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to evolve our production processes and define our best practices + share them with our studios.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 7 years of game design experience or related experience + 3 years of leadership
- In-depth knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) & their limitations, Photoshop, and the Office Suite (especially Excel and PowerPoint)
- A highly innovative, empathetic, creative, and collaborative spirit
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation, problem-solving, organizational, and mentorship skills
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Ability to sift through data and come to meaningful conclusions
- Familiarity with online gaming communities and live streaming platforms (e.g. Twitch)
- A solid understanding of the market & a (fiery) passion for video games
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Eric. As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.