21 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is seeking a passionate and talented Game Director for a major AAA title. The Game Director will work collaboratively with the game team, production staff, creative leads and more to forge an incredible game over a few years of development.
Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious experiences? Do you like working with external partners to hone vision and find the game? Do you want to be the creative leader on a large scale title? If so, this role could be for you!
- Work closely with the Chief Creative Officer, publisher and licensing partners to oversee the creative of the game including features, campaign or single player content, narrative, music, art direction and more
- Manage the creative leads/directors group to insure that the direction of the game is aligned towards our intentions - these include the art director, lead artist, design lead, audio/music leads and also the narrative/writing leads
- Act as the principal vision holder for the game - insure that all participating parties in the game (Publisher, licensor, leads group, product owners and development team) all understand what the creative vision is and what our intentions are
- Work with the production team to ensure that the creative vision of the game is being executed in a sequence which maximizes value to the product
- Collaborate with the Production staff to determine any necessary scope adjustments as the game moves through development
- Create and implement game pillars, vision documents, game comparables and product goals and then act as the principal proponent for these documents to all interested parties
- Support your creatives in developing their features or content and provide them with constructive feedback to push the boundaries of quality and creativity
- Identify and champion game enhancements and improvements to other key stakeholders
- Assess creative needs and make recruitment recommendations when necessary
- Collaborate across disciplines to define and identify requirements, anticipate and assess risks, and plan testing coverage for upcoming/existing features
- Build a culture of learning and trust that encourages your creative team to solve problems
- Build a culture of participation with the team to insure individual developers can contribute to your grander vision in a way that is meaningful
- Build a relationship with our partners (Publisher/licensors) which is iterative, service oriented, self sufficient and produces the best product given IP, creative or technical constraints.
- 7+ years extensive creative or game design experience in shipping AAA titles with at least one credit as a creative leader
- Able to develop and champion a strong creative vision from concept to completion
- Experience in HD console game and/or high-end PC development
- Understand that great execution of an idea is as important as the idea itself
- Strong ability to analyze and adapt creative based on feedback
- Strong appetite for iteration and the follow-up with the team and producers on those iterations
- Strong game vocabulary with the latest AAA and indie experiences on PC, console and select mobile titles that can be referenced to the development team
- Strong appetite to cross into new game experiences - which have never been realized before in software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
- Experience working on multiplayer co-op games
- Experience working on strategy games
- Experience working with third person titles
- Experience working with sci-fi
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.