13 days ago
Location: Hyderabad, India
We’re EA—the world’s largest video game publisher. You’re probably familiar with many of our titles—Madden, FIFA, The Sims, Need for Speed, Dead Space, Battlefield and Star Wars, to name a few. But maybe you don’t know how we’re committed to creating games for every platform—from social to mobile to console—to give our consumers that anytime, anywhere access they demand. What does that mean for you? It means more opportunities to unleash your creative genius, be inspired by those around you and ignite your path in any direction you choose.
As EA's first label dedicated to purely digital games, EA Mobile creates games for mobile devices, social networks and online environments that deliver seamless play anytime, anywhere, on any device. Connecting a market of more than one billion core and mass c asual gamers worldwide, EA Mobile delivers engaging, accessible, high-quality games to people of all skill levels and interests.
The EA Mobile portfolio encompasses some of the most recognizable entertainment brands in the world, including titles such as The Simpsons, Tetris Blitz, SCRABBLE, MONOPOLY, Plants vs Zombies 2, Real Racing 3, Dungeon Keeper as well as online games destination Pogo.com.
The Hyderabad office represents one of EA Mobile’s largest development organizations with more than 700 passionate mobile game experts involved in game development, testing, production and distribution. The game development studio is a team within this organization that is committed to building and running live services for some of EA’s top games.
Our vision is to be EA Mobile’s center of excellence for Live Services and help grow the footprint of casual games in the market. Here are the values we truly believe in:
- Tenacity – Hunger to prove yourself and keep pushing the boundary
- Ownership – Get things done
- Passion – Passionate about the art of making games
- Collaboration – Great things are not done by an individual but by a team of highly motivated folks
- Alchemy – Create magic in everything you do
Game Designers are responsible for devising what a game consists of and how it plays, following the vision of the Creative/Game Director. They plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, vehicles, and devices available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
Originality and creativity are valued, but a thorough knowledge of a game’s target audience and market is equally if not more important. Game Designers should also have a deep understanding of the capabilities and benefits of different hardware platforms (e.g., Mobile, PC, console), as well as familiarity with software technologies and techniques appropriate to each platform.
It is the Game Designer’s responsibility to ensure that the whole team understands and shares the original concept and vision of the game as outlined by the Creative/Game Director. During development, the Game Designer adjusts the original specification to respond to technical constraints and to incorporate new programming and art creation methods developed by the team. The Game Designer also trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
How your day would look like at EA:
- Work with multi-disciplined teams including Producers, Artists, Programmers, Marketing and other Leads to drive the team’s understanding of the project’s vision.
- Develop and maintain level design documentation, including but not limited to mechanics, guidelines, and gameplay outlines.
- Plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, and peripherals available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
- Develop Prototypes in any tool of preference in order to prove design concept to team and iterate.
- Contribute by bringing new ideas to the table regarding every facet of the game.
- Coordinate with Leads to ensure that level design documentation and implementation are realistic and remain on schedule; participate in regular, hands-on interaction with Producer and Software Engineers to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
- Lead assigned development team to define the creative vision, technical specifications, fun factor and product content for assigned products.
- Establish, maintain and enhance relationships with internal and external creative resources.
- Establishes focus groups; trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
Who fits the bill:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- You have 4+ years of game design experience.
- Experience working on mobile F2P games from concept through live service.
- Experience working on F2P RPG/JRPGs/ Battle Arenas/ MMO/ CCG is a bonus.
- A deep understanding of F2P RPG/JRPGs/ Battle Arenas/ MMO/ CCG is expected.
- Serious passion for games and able to break down and articulate their strengths and weaknesses.
- Designed and developed major game systems for at least one shipped mobile title.
- Demonstrable content creation skills.
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative in a highly dynamic environment.
- Creatively, analytically and organizationally skilled with proven ability to write, communicate and maintain detailed design documentation throughout the game life cycle.
- Demonstrative proof of an open-minded, upbeat, progressive thinker who is flexible, energetic, and driven with the ability to overcome obstacles and challenges with working solutions.
- Remain current on industry trends including new game genres, new game design methods and emerging platforms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A degree/ diploma in Game Design or equivalent is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Lua, Python, TypeScript) is a bonus.
- Experience working with licensed products is a plus.