Game Designer (Systems & Features) - SENIOR
Québec City Québec ca
16 days ago
As a Game Designer at Ubi Québec, you'll be the creative energy behind a specific set of game systems and mechanics. You provide players with tools to build unique gameplay experiences and opportunities to make meaningful choices.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and balancing your design as you bring it from concept to playability. Throughout production, you shift your focus from the big picture to the micro details; tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to asses how all the pieces connect and affect each other. You tweak and tune until it finally happens: a smooth and engaging player experience emerges.
What you’ll do
- Design features aligned with the creative and game directions (e.g. gameplay rules, progression systems, combat systems, weapon attributes, artificial intelligence behaviours, 3Cs, etc.).
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate your assigned features.
- Develop in-engine prototypes and evaluate their performance.
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, reworking your design when and as often as needed.
- Participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
- Create and maintain design documentation that will guide interdependent teams.
- Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components (in certain cases).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in video game production or related experience
- Experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.)
- An innovative, empathetic, and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills (you’re able to clearly explain your thought process on paper and in person)
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- A solid understanding of the market and a passion for video games – you play enough to know what makes quality gameplay!
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. The 500 talented people are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences. After collaborating on Assassin’s Creed since 2010, the Quebec team has successfully assumed the leadership of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and is now working on Gods N Monsters, which is scheduled for release in 2020.