Game Designer (Progression) SENIOR
9 days ago
As a Game Designer in progression at Ubi Québec, you'll be the creative energy behind a specific set of game systems and mechanics.You provide players with tools to build unique gameplay experiences and opportunities to make meaningful choices.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and balancing your design as you bring it from concept to playability. Throughout production, you shift your focus from the big picture to the micro details; tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to asses how all the pieces connect and affect each other. You tweak and tune until it finally happens: a smooth and engaging player experience emerges.
What you’ll do
- Design player progression systems (equipment, behaviour tree, combat formula, etc.) and any other progression system related to naval, companions, camp, etc.
- Design the game economy (type of ressources, use, location, etc)
- Balance and adapt your work based on technical and production constraints, play test results, and comments from cross-functional teams.
- Write and maintain design documentation that will serve as a reference to guide interdependent teams.
- Balance the game (player, enemy, equipment statistics, etc.)
- Manage the game income and the cost (unlock, upgrade, etc.)
- Work closely with the monetization team to determine the content of the store and participate in the development of pricing strategies
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in Game Design, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, or equivalent
- Experience in design, economics, or related experience (live/online game development a huge plus)
- In-depth knowledge of Excel + basic familiarity with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) *
- An innovative, creative, and collaborative spirit
- Critical thinking, curiosity, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Ability to translate analytical findings into actionable recommendations
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- An understanding of player motivation & a passion video games
- Deep knowledge of Action RPG/Open World AAA games as Immortals Fenyx Rising or Assassin's Creed or any other relevant and recent game.
*Knowledge of data visualization software (e.g. Tableau) and scripting languages, an asset
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills.
- Please feel free to send us a portfolio of your previous work (attach files or send us a link to your personal website).
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
With a team of more than 500 creative, passionate and innovative talents, Ubisoft Quebec continues to grow and expand. Founded in 2005, the Quebec City studio has carved out a place for itself among the leaders in the video game industry. Involved in several of Ubisoft's flagship franchises, it has acquired solid expertise, positioning it in the development of major AAA games. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec City team has assumed leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Immortals Fenyx Rising as well as the new crossover stories of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.