Game Designer III - League, Competitive
2 months ago
Game Designers at Riot work to craft the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a deeply resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience in order to build new and engaging moments for players.
As a Designer on the League of Legends Competitive team, you will be instrumental in helping to lead a cross-discipline team responsible for the delivery and shipment of competitive features like Clash, Progression, Player Behavior, Ranked, and Matchmaking. We’re looking for an expert in meta-game system designs, someone with deep passion for building the engines that promote long-term engagement for players. You will help guide the holistic experience of a player from their first moments to their 1000th hour, and will build the frameworks that allow players to forge connections that stand the test of time.
- Work to develop a vision for LoL’s meta systems that reward and motivate players for their progress game to game
- Assess player needs and opportunities for improving the player experience in whatever ways are most impactful outside of the game
- Own the detailed tuning and follow through on systems like matchmaking that need optimized algorithms to maximize their potential
- Improve existing design frameworks and craft new ones
- Effectively lead and collaborate with non design disciplines to fully realize our design vision and ship it to players
- Strong understanding of player motivations and audience types
- Proven ability to design complex mathematical systems that organize large volumes of players into ideal groupings
- Experience designing progression, matchmaking, or social systems
- Has previously been the game design owner of multiple projects in parallel and delivered them successfully
- Experience communicating and expressing complex and nuanced designs in simple ways
- Builds strong relationships with non design disciplines to multiply their quality and output
- Strong understanding of LoL gameplay design principles and can apply them effectively
- Experience with opportunity finding and early stage pitches that cover a broad range of possible approaches
- Experience with prototyping and validation methods for systems that would require 1000s of games to see results
- Thorough documentation and requirements writing skills, to ensure engineers and other disciplines can execute with precision in complex spaces
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).