This job might no longer be available.
Game Design Lead
1 year ago
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
This role is part of our Track 3 Team, which focuses on early development projects with 3D combat, tight feedback loops, and RPG progression elements. As a Game Design Lead on Track 3, you will own the game design discipline across the track, pitch and evaluate new game prototype ideas, and lead the development of early game prototypes in Unity.
What We’ve Recently Accomplished:
- We shipped two game prototypes with only lightly modified Unity Asset Store art that still hit over 40% D1 retention.
- We shipped several game prototypes that we chose to stop working on, but converted them into reusable iteration platforms that have sped up development of prototypes across the entire company.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll manage and mentor the game designers on the prototypes team.
- You’ll be the product owner of a new game prototype, and support game design work across teams where needed.
- You’ll represent game design in strategy meetings to evaluate pitches and drive decisions on allocating headcount.
- Together with the whole Track 3 team, you will help drive the successful worldwide launch of a new game.
What You Bring to The Team:
- 6+ years of game design experience and 1 or more years of game design management experience.
- You have successfully managed and mentored game designers.
- You can motivate and drive interdisciplinary teams to produce great player-facing experiences.
- You have worked in small teams that created functioning Unity games, and love to get your hands dirty modifying C# scripts to make games do what you want them to.
- You are comfortable with spreadsheets, task tracking software like Trello or Jira, and version control software like Git or Perforce.
- You crave player feedback and data about your games, listen empathetically to it even when it is confusing, and convert it into actionable changes.
- You know the current landscape of mobile combat-based action games or the current landscape of mobile casual games.
- You have shipped successful game products in third party marketplaces like the iOS App Store, the Google Play store, Steam, or the Epic Store.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Extra Gems For:
- You notice the exact moment that a game’s frame-by-frame visceral execution disappoints you, and you can describe what went wrong.
- You can work with artists to design appealing characters that clearly and intuitively communicate their combat abilities to the player.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability -- and we hope to engage with talent based on these and other core values . We also offer competitive perks, such as flexible vacation, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package,
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.