Game Data Scientist
5 days ago
Who We Are:
2K Games Dublin is a hub focused on performance marketing, commercial strategy, data engineering and data science/analytics and is part of the 2K Games group of companies. 2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most well-known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, BioShock, Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
What We Need:
We’re looking for skilled and passionate Data Scientists to work in our growing central Game Science team. They will be primarily focused on console/PC games and be responsible for crunching data, building models, and extracting insights. Model outputs are used in a production environment to power live-ops (in-game monetization) and marketing (in-game, in-console, and direct). Insights are used by leadership to manage the business and improve the product. Our games are played by millions every day, and in-game monetization is part of the Analytics group, so our team has a very rich dataset to play with, and a direct path to implementing our outputs.
What You Will Do:
- Analyse player gameplay and economy telemetry data to understand player behaviour and suggest actions to improve the player experience.
- Create in-game measurement and experimentation methodologies.
- Work closely with the Game Applied AI team to understand deeply the performance of production Matchmaking, Promotions and Communications, Antifraud/toxicity, and Content Recommendations models.
- Test acquisition, engagement, marketing, communication and monetization strategies to improve performance.
- Work closely with development teams to provide insights into game quality, difficulty, and fun.
- Establish and distribute regular performance reports based on detailed telemetry and advanced models (other teams do basic business reporting / BI).
- Present analysis findings in writing and via presentation (including for remote groups).
What Skills Are Needed:
The ideal candidate must be able to see the underlying story in the data, build sophisticated or simple models depending on the situation, and develop a compelling communication to executives. We’re looking for a solution oriented and creative problem solver; a self-starter with the passion and enthusiasm to drive results for meaningful change is critical for this role.
- MSc or PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Sciences (or in another quantitative discipline).
- 2+ years of experience data mining & analytics, building models with large, complex and multi-dimensional data sets.
- Experience with predictive modelling techniques and accomplished in use of R or Python machine learning and related modules.
- Experience in relational databases, SQL data carpentry. Experience with big data technologies such as Spark or NoSQL DBs a plus. We use Snowflake for our data warehouse.
- Video games industry experience and/or gaming familiarity helpful, ability to partner effectively with partner teams/companies (development studios) required.
- Demonstrated expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise within cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, rapidly prototyping and testing new ideas with little guidance. Drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way.
- Experience understanding the strengths and weaknesses of different modelling approaches and can effectively reason about when to apply different combinations and iterate.
- Technically not a "skill", but, you are comfortable with working hours 10am-6:30pm enabling greater connection with our US HQ.