General Manager, Skillz Media Networks
4 months ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz seeks a world-class executive leader who leads by example and inspires teams throughout various levels of the organization. The General Manager (GM) of Skillz Media Network/Aarki will own the P&L of a relatively early stage business unit and define the future of where it is headed. You will operate on a global level and will be the visionary of expansion.
Reporting and partnering directly with one of the company’s co-founders, the GM will be the catalyst of revenue growth with ad operations. This leader will be responsible for owning the Media Network P&L; defining the long-term and short-term strategy, and constantly enhancing, building, and scaling a global team in order to achieve complex business objectives.
What you’ll do:
- Own the P&L - Ensure that the organization and its leaders are delivering ‘investable plans’ for each planning cycle (short, mid, and long-term) while being held accountable to results-based OKRs and KPI’s
- Be a Product-Centric Leader - Define the future of the business unit through data-informed decision making, thought leadership, and scaleable actions
- Own Skillz Media Network - Full P&L Responsibility of this early-stage business unit defining and driving the success and growth of the global media business of Skillz
- Build scalable processes - Build departmental systems and automate processes to enable the company to scale while achieving efficiency gains and quality improvements on a sequential basis
- Scale the team – Grow, scale and develop a global team (15+ countries).
- Minimum 7 years of P&L ownership (8-figures plus)
- Minimum 10 years of programmatic ad tech experience
- Minimum 5 years of executive leadership experience in scaled and distributed organizations, growing and mentoring teams and people managers (director+)
- Proven track record of growing early-stage business units, delivering a defined scaleable strategy, and executing against the strategy with internal business partners
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and deliver on key milestones.
- Functional understanding of media technology platforms by way of product, finance, or Business Development
- Experience defining strategic long-term organizational goals
- Excellent executive communication and presence with senior management
- Previous growth stage company experience is beneficial
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline; MBA from top school strongly preferred
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.