3 days ago
Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
will be to join a new team, with immediate opportunity for impact, on a brand new platform for decision making and virtual training.
You will be building a new class of application, critical to the Improbable Defence vision. Your users will be key allies in the western world using our platform to dramatically increase the capabilities for planning and decision making. We use the power of simulation and probabilistic modelling to address the threats of the modern world.
You will have the opportunity to design, build, and iterate on our greenfield single page web application. You will be expected to work alongside our world-class product managers and designers and contribute to the feedback process for our product from its earliest point. We are leveraging a modern stack including TypeScript, React, gRPC, and Styled Components.
You will help pioneer techniques for simulation planning, simulation playback, turn-based wargaming, and much more. While a lot of the work will focus on the front-end web technologies, in the future there may be work required on our back-end supporting services.
Areas for Impact
- Building a highly configurable, high performant product, connecting multiples of users in a reliable fashion.
- System design allowing for performant geospatial data rendering and analysis; we’re taking cutting edge mapping data, and complex geospatial models and allowing decision makers in government to interact with them.
- Working in a cross-functional team of designers, UX researchers, product designers, and engineers to build highly customisable, intuitive applications
- Writing scalable and reusable components in Typescript and React for others engineers to adapt and use as our customer base expands
- You will be a central part of delivering a strategic project for the UK government, growing to own parts of our core offering and expanding it to become a core platform offering.
- Interpersonal interaction with users, to deliver a radically new application that will rapidly change the nature of wargaming and course-of-action experimenting for a new generation of tacticians and commanders
- Examples of work that we've done in the past can be found on our engineering blog here: https://improbable.io/blog/grpc-web-moving-past-restjson-towards-type-safe-web-apis
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Fluency with React (or similar libraries/frameworks like Vue or Angular) on data-intensive web applications
- Experience building customisable single page web applications (bonus points if they were for configurable for multiple customers)
- Experience working on high performance web applications, or a background in Computer Science.
- You’re considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork.
- Read more about our division here: http://bit.ly/2lt8DnI
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.