Franchise and Narrative Lead - Unannounced AAA Action RPG
16 days ago
Scopely is looking for a Franchise and Narrative Lead to join us remotely from the US!
At Scopely, we care deeply about what we do and want to inspire play, every day - whether in our work environments alongside our talented colleagues, or through our deep connections with our communities of players. We are a global team of game lovers who are developing, publishing and innovating the gaming industry, connecting millions of people around the world daily.
Scopely is building an exciting AAA multiplayer action game for consoles, PC, and mobile, using Unreal 5. We believe this stylized fantasy project has the potential to be massive in scale and industry-defining!
What You Will Do
As the Franchise and Narrative Lead, you will be responsible for driving the development and management of a brand-new, original IP and its use. Helping build a team who’ll own the overall creative vision of the world’s narrative, setting, cast of characters, and more. Work directly with the Creative Director and a team of talented designers, writers, and developers to create an engaging, immersive, and memorable player experience.
- Develop and execute the original IP’s overall narrative vision and world-building, including backstory, setting, societies, characters, and more
- Create compelling character backstories and relationships that drive player motivation and investment in the game's story
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Art Director, and other game team leadership to ensure that the narrative is a seamless part of the overall game experience
- Manage a team of writers, ensuring they stay on track with the overall creative vision and provide creative direction to ensure high-quality narrative content
- Lead that team in developing engaging and dynamic story arcs, quests, scripts, dialogue, and other narrative content, including naming and flavor text
- Develop worldbuilding documents, characters, and major story arcs for an original IP, cross-platform, multiplayer game with a high social component. Oversee ongoing maintenance of all documentation
- Collaborate with game designers, artists, and sound designers to ensure the game's visuals, audio, and gameplay mechanics align with the original IP’s narrative direction and setting
- Build and manage the team that will be the point of contact for all other possible applications of the IP (transmedia, other games, etc.)
- Stay up-to-date on current storytelling trends and approaches, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives to the game
What You Will Need
- 8+ years of relevant experience in writing for games, with 3+ years experience in leading a strong, focused writing team
- The ideal candidate will be extremely experienced in writing for MMORPGs and Fantasy settings specifically
- Passion for the representation of a diverse range of characters and lifestyles in video games. A desire to make that an integral part of the way their writing and team is developed
- First-hand experience of how players interact in online multiplayer games
- People-first collaboration and leadership style
- Proven track record of designing and implementing compelling narrative and world-building content in video games, with a deep understanding of the importance of narrative pacing and player agency
- Mastery of game design principles and best practices
Desire to create an incredibly cool game that millions of people will love
For candidates in CA, CO, NJ, NY and WA, the annual salary range is $120,900 - $203,100, plus equity, bonus and benefits including healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, pet insurance, paid holidays, paid Scopely free days, and unlimited paid time-off. Base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Scopely, we create games for everyone - and want to ensure that the people behind our games reflect that! We are committed to creating a diverse, supportive work environment where everyone is treated with respect. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and welcome individuals from all backgrounds to join us & embrace the adventure!
Scopely is a global interactive entertainment and mobile-first video game company, home to many top, award-winning experiences such as "MONOPOLY GO!," “Star Trek™ Fleet Command,” “Stumble Guys,” “MARVEL Strike Force,” and “Yahtzee® With Buddies,” among others.
Scopely creates, publishes, and live-operates immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer™ experience across multiple platforms--from mobile, web, PC and beyond.
Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform Playgami that supports one of the most diversified portfolios in the games industry.
Recognized multiple times as one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” Scopely is a multi-billion-dollar business due to its ability to create long-lasting game experiences that players enjoy for years.
Scopely has global operations in more than a dozen markets across Asia, EMEA, and North America, and is home to many internal game development teams, referred to as Scopely Studios, with additional game studio partners across four continents.
Scopely was acquired by Savvy Games Group in July 2023 for $4.9 billion, and is now an independent subsidiary of Savvy.
For more information on Scopely, visit: scopely.com.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.