Finance Manager: Tax and SPVs - SUMO SHEFFIELD
10 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo , winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio ; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
An opportunity has arisen for a brand new role as part of the Sumo Group (Sumo) Finance team, working closely with the business leadership, commercial and operational teams, and external advisors. The role will be responsible for Sumo’s Video Games Tax Relief income (VGTR) and Corporation tax obligations.
This role is more than just tax compliance. VGTR is one of the UK government’s Creative Industry tax reliefs, aimed at encouraging investment and job creation in the UK creative and digital sectors, and allows video game developers to claim a rebate against production costs. VGTR is an important component of Sumo’s commercial considerations and ensuring games qualify for the relief and that VGTR is structured correctly within development contracts is essential.
This role is a fantastic opportunity to be part of the Sumo family and make a key contribution to helping Sumo achieving its strategic goals.
In your new role you will:
- Be responsible for the end to end process for Sumo’s Video Games Tax Relief (VGTR) claims, ensuring claims are completed in a timely basis;
- Develop a deep understanding of relevant UK VGTR guidance and, working with Sumo’s external VGTR advisors, and use this knowledge to influence Sumo’s commercial contracts and optimise Sumo’s claims within the permitted rules;
- Be responsible for ensuring required documentation is in place, including working with our in-house legal team to prepare inter-company contracts & billing structures;
- Manage completion of relevant subsidiary company audits and tax returns, working closely with advisors and auditors to facilitate VGTR claims;
- Lead the critical month-end accounting processes for VGTR;
- Analyse and report on KPI’s for VGTR and maintain & monitor VGTR utilisation data across projects;
- Be responsible for the preparation of information for external tax advisors in relation to corporation tax returns across the Group;
- Support the Group FC on Group corporation tax planning and cash flow forecasting, including optimising the use of losses arising as part of the VGTR process
- Be responsible for corporation tax and VGTR process and system improvements.
To be successful you ideally will:
- Be a qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc.)
- Demonstrate strong technical background in practice or industry
- Have additional UK tax qualifications or experience is preferred but not essential;
- Show an interest in developing understanding of UK corporation tax and VGTR essential (support towards further qualifications to facilitate this may be available)
- Be enthusiastic and a team player
- Be well organised, and able to work autonomously and to strict deadlines
- Have exceptional attention to detail
- Show the ability to communicate effectively across all levels, with the confidence to question processes and recommend improvements
- Have a strong desire to implement change and best practice
- Demonstrate strong excel skills and the ability to analyse and manipulate data
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.