Toronto Ontario Canada
14 days ago
Tangent Animation is the vision of Animation and Film Production industry professionals, with combined experience that encompasses CG Animation, Live Action Film Production, Visual Effects, and Software Development. Tangent Animation employs open source solutions to create high quality animated feature films. What sets us apart from other studios is our use of Blender, an open source software to make our animated films. This approach has helped us in curbing the cost of licensed software and build an opportunity to invest in additional artistic and programming talent.
Tangent Animation strives to find solid team players that thrive on collaboration and community commitment to build open source capabilities. Tangent Animation is currently recruiting for an experience FX Supervisor to work collaboratively with our studio team.
As an FX Supervisor you will be responsible for leading a team of FX Artists and managing the day-to-day production needs. The FX Supervisor will supervise the FX team in the technical and artistic aspects of the visual effects production to ensure the highest-quality. You will be conceptualizing and creating CG FX sequences ensuring that the aesthetic, creative, and technical quality standards of the production are met. We are looking for someone with a strong technical background in Houdini, After Effects and has a keen artistic eye. Someone who has a solid understanding of the animation production pipeline and the ability to produce the highest possible quality effects.
- Demonstrate a broad range of FX abilities in a collaborative environment to conceptualize and create the overall look, attitude and style of the FX
- Interpret verbal direction and visual reference to understand the story context and aesthetic objectives of visual effects
- R&D and implement FX, run shots: particles, rigid body, fluids, large and small-scale destruction, smoke, dust, lightning, fire, storms, explosions, etc.
- Support integration of effects into other department’s workflows and collaborate with them to ensure deliverables meet requirements
- Provide suggestions and recommendations on technique and elements in the context of the scene
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative FX animation technologies
- Participate in the development of department procedures: workflows, toolsets, best practices
- 7+ years of industry experience with effects simulations in features, television, games or equivalent
- Advanced Houdini user
- All aspects of FX creation in Houdini
- FX lighting, shading and rendering principles
- Experience with PBR engines including Cycles, Mantra, Arnold etc
- Experience building HDAs, tools and rigs is a plus
- Experience with small and large scale water simulations is a plus
- Programing skills : Python, Hscript, VEX, C++ all a plus
- Experience with Maya, Blender, Unity, Unreal is an asset
- Experience with Stylized or non-realistic Effects is a plus
- Experience in leading and training teams of FX Artists
- Able to troubleshoot, solve problems and find workarounds as appropriate
- Strong composition and artistic timing
- Experience with Shotgun Software is a plus
- Experience with traditional/2D animation/principles is a plus
- Great company culture, with a team that is very technically proficient, highly motivated & excited to work on projects that will change the industry
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Casual dress-code
Interested candidates to share a link to their demo reels, along with their resume.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted