Expert Software Engineer - Titles
1 month ago
Job Title:Expert Software Engineer - Titles
Would you be excited about creating reliable and scalable online services and features, to be used by millions of players all around the world?
We are an independently-run part of Activision with a small company feel.
Do you love games, engineering, working with other senior technical staff, and online/multiplayer technology? Then we’d love to hear from you!
You will be a part of our Titles department in Demonware and work here in our Vancouver office.
Your mission is to work on delivering large name games titles, leveraging many of the existing technologies created by Demonware and developing new online services and features to support the future of the online gaming market. The development is geared towards low-latency and large-scale distributed systems that can handle millions of concurrently connected users.
Meaning you will have a large impact on the online and multiplayer experience for AAA multiplayer games, including Call of Duty.
- Developing custom backend online services and features that are reliable and scale to be used by millions of players all around the world
- Own, operate and support the services and features you develop
- Working as a partner to game studios, designing online and multiplayer player experiences
- Working with game studio engineers to troubleshoot problems with online and multiplayer features
- When necessary, travel to game studios to provide on-site design and integration support
- Providing technical mentorship to other team members through software engineering best practices
- Good understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle including, but not limited to, agile software development methodology (Scrum or Kanban)
- Expertise in Python or C++ coding, or skills in a similar language
- Experience with databases (ideally MySQL, Cassandra, and redis)
- Understanding of networking technologies, e.g. TCP, UDP, security and scalability
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Good communication and customer facing skills
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program
Nice to have:
- Experience with multi-platform development, including PC, Xbox One, and PS4
- Understanding of large scale services (up to millions of concurrent users)
- Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Enjoys working with other engineers
- Willingness to travel for extended visits to game studios
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation Support, generous paid vacation, RRSP matching program and top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents and perks.
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players’ online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.