Expert Shader TD
9 days ago
That’s No Moon Entertainment is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. Based in Los Angeles and San Diego, That’s No Moon Entertainment is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are looking for a skilled and well-rounded technical artist with a passion for photorealistic rendering, scanning technology, and next-gen visuals, to join our team as the critical bridge between technology and art. Tech artists will collaborate with programmers, designers and artists of various disciplines and help deliver industry-leading graphical fidelity and realism.
- Develop and maintain studio shader library. Implement high-level features such as wetness, rust, or mud
- Work closely with the Art Director to identify rendering needs and create new shader or features required to achieve desired look, both via Unreal shading network and writing custom shader code.
- Create lighting and post processing effects
- Work with the graphics team to add/improve low-level rendering feature support not available in Unreal’s base offering
- Support art teams in debugging graphical or framerate issues
- Work between all art departments (environment, characters, VFX, etc.) on shared technology
- Author contents that require high technical skill or specialist knowledge.
Requirements & Skills:
- (Required) 6+ years of professional experience as a shader TD, graphics programmer, or technical material artist in game or film production
- (Required) expert level experience writing shaders using modern shader language such as HLSL or GLSL
- (Required) Solid programming foundation in C/C++
- (Required) Comfortable with Linear Algebra and related 3D math topics
- (Required) Keen artistic eye for photorealism, in-depth knowledge of lighting, color theory, and shading models (PBR, BRDF)
- (Preferred) Functional Python experience in the areas of tools and UI (i.e., PyQt) and Maya Scripting
- (Preferred) Familiarity working with UnrealEngine, Unity, or similar game engine
- (Preferred) Knowledge/familiarity of various CG art disciplines (ex: modeling, materials, animation, lighting, vfx, etc) and how they are interconnected
- (Preferred) Runtime rendering profile and optimization experience
- (Bonus) Experience working with Substance designer, Painter, Photoshop, and other 2D/3D authoring packages.
- Proven ability to balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced development environment
- Self-motivated and capable to find solutions on one's own
- Capable of switching tasks quickly to address emergent production issues in a professional manner
- Great verbal and written communication skills to articulate issues and risks
- Collaborative, team oriented, and open to peer feedback
- High desire/focus to help making artists' lives better and processes more efficient/scalable, mindful of areas of workflow improvement
- Great attention to details, and ability to deliver consistent results
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.