Experience Designer - UI/Visual
9 days ago
Experience Designer - UI/Visual
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
We are looking for an XD Designer who will focus exclusively on UI for a minimum of 2 years of the project development. After this period this role could become a hybrid UI/UX role.
This role will be responsible for creating, documenting and maintaining the UI systems and needs to be someone who is a systems thinker and doer. You will work with the Art Director, Technical Art Director, Engineers and Experience Designers to help develop a modular, responsive UI system in Unreal that works on all platforms (mobile, tablet, PC, Console) and will expand over time. We need to design for the future, working as smartly as possible because the initial UI will change and grow when the game's content expands.
You will be the Unreal expert in UI who will guide the team in best practices. You will also coordinate and partner with the other EA studios who are using Unreal to build bridges and share knowledge.
You will report into a Maxis Development Director.
Drive the delivery of the following:
- UI Framework
- UI Style guide - this role would also help decide what platform software we use to maintain the style guide to allow for iterative design and collaboration.
- Design and implementation of UI elements, icons etc. into the dev prototypes in Unreal
- Responsible for the creation of the game's UI systems, both technical and visual.
- Design UI systems that are intuitive and engaging while balancing player, business and technical goals.
- Produce the game's visual design system that includes iconography, typography, visual hierarchy, brand expression and motion.
- Partner with XD team to author and co-own the XD pattern library and component library.
- Deliver high fidelity and high-quality UI screens that align with the product's experience goals, usability and accessibility standards.
- Experience designing with players motivations and needs in mind.
- Able to digest and interpret player feedback to make meaningful improvements to the UI.
- Collaborate closely with the other Experience Designers to gather requirements, explore creative directions, produce prototypes and iterate based on testing results.
- Initiate, define and lead R&D and innovation initiatives pertaining to UI design, UI motion, and UI VFX.
- Partner with stakeholders to set priorities and find balanced design solutions to player and business goals within technical constraints.
- Strong visual design skills (i.e., composition, iconography, layout, typography, color theory) with the ability to lay out complex information in an easy to understand manner.
- Motion graphics skills, the ability to bring interfaces to life with usability in mind.
- Comfortable presenting cohesive design solutions to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience designing a cross platform UI system is a giant plus.