1 day ago
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ The Chinese Room
Are you looking for the next step in your career and are ready to lead ambitious projects in an award-winning and successful studio? As an Executive Producer, you will be a key player in the leadership team of the studio, having responsibility for the delivery of high-quality games to time and on budget.
Within this role you will:
- Be an important part of the leadership team and help the studio fulfil its creative ambitions
- Lead production of an important game for The Chinese Room
- Be responsible for planning production in line with contractual obligations, budget, scope, timelines and quality standards
- Manage the project budget, identifying resource requirements, revising and analysing changes in financial projections
- Define and deliver project milestones
- Identify and resolve conflicts between schedule, budget and design goals
- Continuously assess and manage project risks and opportunities
- Prepare and communicate project status information to stakeholders within the business and our clients and partners
- Otherwise, ensure processes are in place and followed to deliver the game
- Support the development team to help them do their best work, in a satisfying and sustainable manner
To be successful you will have:
- Around 10 years’ of games production experience, including having led production of at least 2 console titles with teams of 50+
- Proven success as a highly responsible, self-directed, detail-oriented problem solver
- Outstanding organizational, communication, management and leadership skills
- Experience managing a team of producers
- Exceptional expertise of a wide range of production and project management methodologies, tools and practice, with an ability to tailor methods to meet the requirements of teams and projects
- Knowledge of best practice of games development disciplines
- Experience being responsible for relationships with partners
- Expertise defining and being responsible for managing to a budget
- An ability to keep abreast of current trends in the marketplace
- A degree-level education with strong maths ability
- Experience of MS Project and in-depth knowledge of Excel
- Ideally, have experience of Team Foundation Server (aka VSTS / Azure DevOps Boards)
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world, and the multi award-winning Little Orpheus (2020). This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.