3D Environment Artist
6 months ago
Tonic Games Group brings together a family of world-class developers and publishers who believe that games are for everyone. More than 300 people strong; we bring together Mediatonic, Fortitude Games and The Irregular Corporation to create original IP and to invest in independent game developers globally. We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking to hire an Environment Artist to join Mediatonic.
Mediatonic is one of the UK’s largest independent games developers which delights in connecting people through original, mass-multiplayer game experiences and breaking the mould with weird and wonderful games across every platform.
As an Environment Artist you will use your expertise in art principles and computer packages in being responsible for high-quality original artwork that often displays innovative solutions when answering briefs. You will be able to take high-level creative direction and estimate, schedule and execute relevant level-of-detail artwork, depending on the stage of the creative process. You will be able to help mentor more junior artists and work collaboratively across the team to ensure the best possible ideas are professionally presented and realised in-game.
- Able to integrate assets and textures produced in Unity respecting the technical and artistic constraints
- Able to accurately plan and estimate workload
- Able to verify the work-quality once imported into the game, and make improvements when necessary
- Able to communicate with the level designers and modify game-assets to their requirements.
- Efficiently uses texture space and takes into consideration pixel ratio.
- Efficiently uses texture space and takes into consideration the texel density for lightmap UVs
- Able to take a block out from Level Designers and turn it into a fully lit and crafted level following technical and artistic constraints
- Being familiar with agile-methodologies
- Strong artistic ability to visualize entire levels in detail with minimal concept art and direction
- Good knowledge of Unity 2019.3
- Strong understanding of art fundamentals – compositions, shape language, color theory
- Proficiency in Autodesk Maya 2019
- Good knowledge of modeling techniques and texture mapping such as:
- Polygonal modeling skills, able to generate clean models efficiently.
- Knowledge of Substance Designer and Painter as well as Photoshop
- Bonus Requirement: Knowledge of Unity 2019.3’s lightmap tool and other related lighting tools in the engine
- Bonus Requirement: Fundamental Z-Brush skills
- Familiarity with version Control, Perforce or GiT
- 1+ years of professional experience in games, modeling environments using Maya, or related experience/software
Are you interested in joining a business who strive to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognise that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.
Details:We not only offer you the chance to work with fantastic teams, on awesome and inspiring projects, we also offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours including up to 3 x remote days weekly and private health care.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.