Environment Artist (Contract)
8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Environment Artist (Contract)
San Diego, CA
This is a long-term contracted position through our staffing partner DZConneX with a high likelihood of extension.
Are you an Environment Artist looking to join a team to help create stunning environments and stories? Then this opportunity is for you!
This position is to work within Sony PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA) an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
- Work with the PSVA and Cinematics Group to create both in-game and pre-rendered quality environments within a range of styles for AAA console titles.
- Content creation, including environment texture painting, modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout according to defined quality standards.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on outsourced environment and prop assets.
- Resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Communicating updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team members and manager(s).
- Maintaining project and process specific documentation for the team.
- At least 2-4 years industry experience preferred.
- Highly proficient in the use of Maya and Photoshop.
- Moderate to high proficiency in the use of Z-Brush & Substance Painter/Designer.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow existing guidelines, policies, procedures or project parameters.
- Experience working with external outsource vendors (OS).
- Mari, Marvelous Designer, Vegetation creation tools experience a plus.
- Python scripting experience considered a plus.
- Knowledge of physically based rendering (PBR, PBM, PBL)
- Experience with Unreal 4 preferred
- Concept art experience considered a plus.
As a part of the PlayStation application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test, in addition to a phone screen.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.