Environment artists create an atmosphere and add realism, tone and depth to a scene. Will also use shaders and textures to describe the surface appearance of different materials; such as fabric, hard surfaces including concrete or brick, and organic surfaces like dirt and grass. Through the use of their craft, will create visually balancing individual elements that, combined with world-building and characters produce a convincing environment. They need to use technical skills to create images that are not only visually pleasing but are also easy to render.
Environment Artists make sure there is a consistency in color balance and will work closely with studio lighting artists to capture the mood of the shot or scene in the game to meet EA’s standard of visual quality. You will ensure the CG looks photorealistic and emphasize drama or narrative and also establish and clarify location, season, and condition to identify the environment. You will respect and follow an established design theme for a sequence or project, Work and collaborate with Art directors to understand and create content consistent with the vision for the product. You can refer to the relevant production designs and apply that visual style as faithfully as possible, taking care to maintain continuity throughout the scene and game.
- Work with game designers and technical artists to understand and interpret design requirements with the engine’s technical limitations
- Support the Art Director and Environment Lead in the vision for the game while taking ownership of environments and props as assigned.
- Model, texture, light, prepare, place, and edit in-game environments to include basketball arenas, lighting, and props
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and performance requirements
- Keep the artistic style consistent with defined visuals
- Background in Art preferred with a good sense of mood, color, and spatial balance
- Maya experience
- Shader tuning experience
- Mel scripting proficiency is a plus
- Understanding game production workflow and systems preferred
- Two or more years of production experience (either game or film)
- Being an avid gamer never hurts!