Environment Artist 2
Shanghai Shanghai China
9 days ago
EA Shanghai is a highly-engaged content creation team within EA Worldwide Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Working with our game team partners around the world, we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous and we take chances. We seek pioneers who cut new paths and conquer challenges with fierce determination.
Environment Art Specialists are responsible for the creation, revision, maintenance and support of digital world assets including buildings, vehicles, weapons, etc. in styles ranging from photo-realistic to cartoon and everything in between. Environments include realistic open-world environments (i.e., Battlefield, Need for Speed), authentic sports arenas (i.e., FIFA, Madden), futuristic environments (i.e., Mass Effect), licensed properties (i.e., Simpsons, Harry Potter) and cartoon inspired worlds (i.e., PvZ) to name a few. Artists working in environments are also responsible for the props that populate these worlds such as vehicles, foliage, weapons, etc.
Environment specialists work closely with technical artists to ensure assets are exported properly through game pipelines and that assets are optimized for run-time platforms.
Aesthetics /Art Skills
Architecture and Functionality
• STRONG knowledge of different architecture styles and rules
(including forces/interactions, proportions, aesthetics, material
usage and aging).
• STRONG understanding of the mechanical functioning of
things we are likely to build.
Color and Composition
• STRONG understanding of lighting and scene composition.
• STRONG awareness of color theory and the emotional
charge of colors. Able to suggest an effective color palette.
Creativity and Design
• STRONG ability to understand and follow a concept art brief.
• PROFICIENT at researching and planning an asset before
• PROFICIENT ability to suggest creative solutions in line with
art direction when lacking sufficient concept art.
• PROFICIENT ability to find additional reference to complement
initial concept and reference material.
Art Critique and Vocabulary
• Is receptive to criticism and understands why corrections
• Able to independently follow concept art and constructively
challenge the AD if given tasks that do not follow the game style.
• Able to review their own work based on concept art.
• Able to give constructive criticism to peers.
• Sufficient art- and technical-specific vocabulary to be able
to understand advanced explanations and discuss contrasting
art styles from other games or media.
Types of Projects
• Has worked on more than two complete projects.
• Able to take a section of the game environment from start
Scope Of Responsibility / Ownership
• Able to work independently and to produce high quality
• Able to take on a complex section of a larger project,
including props and architecture. (Textures consistent with
color palette and style, budget respected, geo details put
where needed, etc.)
• Able to take ownership and propose visual and technical
solutions to problems in their area.
• Actively searches for better tools and processes for the team.
3D Software Skills
• EXPERT 3D skills (Maya/MAX): Able to deliver excellent
models with little to no iteration. (Correct proportions, prop/
building structure, accurate details, LOD accuracy, geo
• STRONG 3D skills in the other package. (Maya/Max)
• PROFICIENT ZBrush ability.
• Aware of good modeling practices and avoids building
• PROFICIENT at optimizing scenes.
• Able to create both organic and rigid models.
• Uses extra software or plugins (if available) to improve
2D Software Skills
• STRONG with Photoshop or a similar 2D package.
• EXPERT texture skills: Able to deliver “clean” textures in at
least one style. (Good color and clarity, correct style and
sharpness, good tiling, etc.)
• STRONG texture skills in at least one other style.
Texture and Shader Technique
• STRONG UV space and unwrap abilities.
• PROFICIENT alpha-transparency knowledge.
• STRONG at reproducing various surface/material types.
• STRONG at one texture creation method. (Photo retouch,
build up, hand paint, procedural, etc.)
• STRONG ability to create normal maps via different tools.
• PROFICIENT knowledge of ambient occlusion.
• STRONG ability to provide AAA quality, while following technical
constraints. (Naming convention, budgets, etc.)
• PROFICIENT polygon optimization skills.
Engines and Pipelines
• STRONG knowledge of the environment creation process in a
• STRONG ability to create collision geometry with correct
• FUNCTIONAL knowledge of lighting tools in the engine.
• Able to suggest improvements on the existing tools.
• Able to use shaders on at least one game engine.
Multidisciplinary Knowledge / Game Design Specifics
• PROFICIENT understanding of at least one game-related
skill set outside of environment modeling. (Lighting,
• FUNCTIONAL knowledge of gameplay mechanics and their
impact on art production.
• Able to partner with peers to help them.
• Able to provide reliable estimates for complex tasks.
Mentoring / Team Player
• Positive influence on team.
• Mentors peers on specialized skills and helps onboard
Workflow and Process
• Able to follow work orders.
• Able to suggest improvements to asset workflows.
Leadership and Communication
• Consultant on new tools and technology.
English Language Capability
• FUNCTIONAL English reading skill level: Able to write
reasonable check-in notes and communicate with the game
team via email with assistance of the AD or DD.
Please send your resume to：Chinajobs@ea.com