Engineering Manager (Hybrid)
12 days ago
We’ve got an opening for a Engineering Manager, to support development of innovative features and robust code systems. Studio culture is incredibly important to us – as our Engineering Manager, you would work with staff and leadership to keep nDreams the welcoming and collaborative studio that distils the best qualities of our industry, empowering each employee to contribute efficiently and creatively every day.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Organising, supporting and empowering the code team.
- Appraising the skill balance and career trajectory of each team member to optimise assignments and inform recruitment strategy.
- Liaising with the Technical Director and Production Department to ensure code needs are met across concurrent developments.
- Working with Principal programmers to identify areas or individuals in need of mentoring, support or further development.
- Working with the Production Team to help identify and mitigate technical risks outside of the remit of the Team Principals.
- Fostering collaboration and close working relationships between programmers and other staff.
- Ensuring solid working practices are agreed upon and in place to produce quality code throughout the studio.
- An organised and efficient manager, able to triage and prioritise effectively through full product life cycles.
- An accomplished programmer with proven talent planning, coding and debugging complex systems to schedule.
- Proven expertise in at least one professional OO language; preferably C++, C# etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to talk to company members and other disciplines in a clear and concise manner.
- A practical and balanced style, with a calm approach to resolving issues. Able to listen, empathise and see others’ perspectives.
- Familiarity with staff appraisal, performance management and recruitment processes.
- Talent for analysing processes and identifying issues.
- A pro-active and nurturing mentality, conducive to the mentoring and objective critiquing of a growing department.
- A solid working knowledge of contemporary development software and working practices.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link below. We’re one of the world’s largest VR developers and publishers. Our recent Oculus-exclusive Phantom: Covert Ops was a #1 title at launch, having won multiple “VR Game of the Show” awards at E3 2019. But that’s only touching the surface – with multiple games in development, including our upcoming action-adventure Fracked and exciting growth plans we can’t wait to show you what else we’re up to.
The studio encourages an open and diverse culture, where you’re empowered to explore ideas and put your own stamp on projects. We also offer some great perks, including flexible hours, duvet days and health insurance.
The publishing team is a small, growing part of nDreams. We are a friendly bunch who “muck in” when needed and work collaboratively – both between ourselves and the talented dev team we work alongside. Despite our humble resources, we strive to develop campaigns that would make AAA publishers envious – we would love to find someone who can help us achieve this, as well as bringing along new ideas and perspectives.
This is a permanent, full-time role based in our studio in Farnborough, UK, but with a unique Flex+ policy which incorporates options for flexible, hybrid working from home and studio. The studio is within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.