Engineering Manager - Tools
3 days ago
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous , Planet Coaster , Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo . We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
About the Shared Technology Group (STG)
Our Shared Technology Group is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining our in-house engine Cobra. They also serve as a group of domain experts to advise game teams on technical problems, best practice and use of Cobra for their games.
STG Tools are responsible for content creation and editing Tools for the Cobra engine. Working closely with programmers and content creators to understand and influence how assets are built, how the runtime game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games.
About the Role
As the STG Tools Engineering Manager you will collaborate with the Head of Tools, Tools Technical Producer, game teams and other Stakeholders to supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of tools that will be used across a range of projects.
A key part of this role is to balance the needs of projects and work with the team to capture required code features in response to project requests. You and the team will then be tasked with creating technical plans to deliver the requested features and maintain a roadmap for them.
To be successful in this role you will need to be enthusiastic about improvement, efficiency and communication. As projects can be at different development stages you will need to be comfortable supporting work that can be reactive as well as scheduled. You will work with a diverse, talented team of programmers with differing levels of experience and domain knowledge.
- Line management:
- Line managing a group of engineers who are working on shared technology used by multiple projects.
- Develop working relationships with the engineers and understand their career goals and aspirations.
- Grow expertise in the team with ongoing coaching, performance reviews & arranging training.
- Process & Communication:
- Liaise with other projects to ensure that their feature requests have clear specifications and desired delivery windows.
- Enhance visibility by sharing upcoming priorities with the engineers and keeping project production teams updated on any changes.
- Regularly track progress and monitor remaining scope in the milestone against available capacity.
- Regularly review product backlogs to ensure balanced future milestones depending on project statuses.
- Supporting department:
- Develop and improve existing practices such as code reviews, knowledge sharing, documentation efforts, and developing career progression frameworks.
- Help identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team.
- Promote cross discipline collaboration.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Line management in a software engineering context, preferably using an agile methodology and working with geographically remote team members.
- Experience in motivating an effective team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Scheduling and coordination experience on a project of any size.
- You do not need to be a programmer but you will need experience of the software development lifecycle.
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams.
- Empathy towards the user experience of tools that are undergoing continual development and change.
- Being able to identify and develop compromises when the need arises.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.