Engineering Manager, Security
8 days ago
Discord is looking for a mission-driven Engineering Manager to build and lead our dedicated security engineering team! As the manager responsible for this area you will have enormous impact on both the product, infrastructure, and the future of security engineering at Discord. You will report to the Director of Infrastructure.
This team finds and addresses risk across a variety of product and infrastructure domains. We don't expect anyone to have experience with all of the things we do - we're looking for someone with security experience in one of these domains that isn't afraid of diving into the rest.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Lead a team of engaged engineers -- building autonomy, mastery, and purpose
- Develop our overall threat model and work across the company to understand and mitigate risks wherever they are - the company, the product, and the infrastructure
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to improve the Engineering organization and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization
What you should have:
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Security Engineer working on systems with millions of users.
- You have 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and managed a team of 3+ Security Engineers.
- You have experience working with many kinds of teams -- engineering, IT, marketing, and more
- You are comfortable writing the roadmap -- not just following one
- You get to the heart of issues and lead your team to come up with effective solutions
- Experience programming in at least one systems programming language
- Experience with tools commonly used to automate vulnerability discovery
- Working knowledge of modern and frequently used cryptographic primitives
- Experience with Linux system administration
- Familiar with common application vulnerabilities on the platforms Discord ships on
- Experience with cloud-based deployments (we use Google Cloud)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance (options for individual and/or family, including One Medical membership for health) and Disability benefits
- Commuter subsidies, healthcare and/or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 4 weeks of PTO (alongside 14 paid holidays and use-what-you-need sick days)
- Parental Leave
- Well-being programs, including fitness allowance (we have yoga once a week in our office!)
- 401(K) plans
- Catered lunches Monday-Friday and a fully-stocked kitchen (snacks and beverages galore!)
- Regular company and team social events such as game nights, happy hours and events
- An annual desk fund to make your space truly yours
- Headphone allowance
- Internal Learning and Development workshops to help with continued personal and professional growth
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.