Engineering Manager, Quality & Operational Support
11 days ago
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
The mission of the manager of Quality & Operational Support is to develop, scale, lead and encourage Quality Assurance and Operational Support teams within the Defence business. These teams will be responsible for driving our quality processes during development efforts and supporting our products through and post-delivery to our customers.
This role not only encompasses standing up this team, it’s processes and growing it’s staff, but also contributing to product vision, strategic direction and delivery management. We expect that, as we scale, that you will scale with the business to take on larger teams, hire and develop Engineering Managers and grow your impact.
Areas for Impact:
- Grow and lead a crucially important team at the centre of our growth plans for 2020; create a best in class team and ensure the success of our product and customer strategy. We envisage hiring both reliability engineers as well as testers and we will look to you to develop a long-term balance.
- You will research and make recommendations on which Quality Assurance processes and best practices to put in place based on the strategic and financial goals of the organisation.
- Develop and maintain policies, processes, and metrics, to provide credible, accurate, and timely assessments of product quality.
- Establish repeatable and defendable processes for testing, release management, and delivery services, including deployment support and potential help desk operations based on contracted needs.
- Ensure budget and capacity line up with all phases of quality, testing, integration, and configuration control throughout the entire lifecycleEvaluate and implement automation, test, quality, and customer support tools for potential gains in effectiveness or efficiencies.
- Perform leadership responsibilities including the mentoring, performance appraisals and training of employees.
- You will have a strategic input, while retaining an appropriate level of hands-on management.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Experience growing and leading a Quality Assurance & support functions in a modern, cloud-based software engineering environment.
- Experience developing a Quality Assurance strategy from the ground up, working cross-functionally with a range of senior stakeholders.
- Experience leading teams of reliability engineers and testers.
- A belief in servant-leadership, with a focus on empowering and improving your team.
- You embody our values and ensure your teams are working hard, being kind and having fun. You embody our goal of “team before the needs of the individual" in order to best fulfil our duty to our customers.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.