Engineering Manager | Halo Infinite
12 days ago
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
Interested? Let's talk about who we're hiring for:
SkyBox Labs is looking for an Engineering Manager (Technical Director) to join our Halo Infinite team! In this role, you will work in a leadership capacity alongside our talented engineering and production team to achieve our goal of delivering amazing Halo experiences.
Using your strong communication, collaboration, and leadership skills, you will interact with and manage various key stakeholder groups and participate in high level technical planning. You will also manage a high-performing team of engineers through performance reviews, ongoing mentorship and continuous feedback.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and results-driven leader with a background and interest in developing industry-leading AAA games. Come make your mark and help us expand the world of Halo !
A snapshot of your role:
- Oversee internal and external technical projects and dependencies for Halo Infinite : ensure contingency plans are in place, recommend solutions, validate plans and timelines, and understand the overall impact on stakeholders
- Take ownership of various sub-teams of Halo Infinite 's engineering team and support them to deliver on key milestones
- Interact with and manage various key internal and external stakeholder groups, using expert communication skills to foster strong and collaborative relationships
- Participate in high level planning with project managers and technical directors, while contributing regular updates on engineering efforts of key sub-teams
- Provide career management to your team through annual performance reviews, ongoing mentorship and feedback, and regular 1-on-1s
- Support the team directly by providing hands-on coding solutions to help solve complex problems or blockers when needed
- Be an active participant and driver of SkyBox culture of learning, development, and collaboration
Sound like you? This is what we're looking for:
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience in the games industry
- At least 2 years' experience in a leadership role driving technical road maps and managing high performing engineering teams
- Experience shipping multiple game titles on PC and/or console
- Extensive experience programming in C++
- Strong stakeholder management skills and experience communicating with technical and non-technical teams
- Experience providing career management to software engineers, with strong leadership skills and a desire to teach and mentor others
- Driven and self-motivated to produce results and lead technical initiatives
- Familiarity leading a team in the early stages of a growing project
Please note, the successful incumbent must eventually be living in Vancouver to respect the return-to-work plan for the studio in 2022.
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity later in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.