Engineering Manager, Data Products
San Francisco, California, United States
14 days ago
Discord's Data Products team is responsible for building the tools and applications that operate on top of our data infrastructure: This includes systems like Experimentation, Monitoring & Alerting, Data Aggregation, Dashboarding and BI. Our mission is to empower any employee at Discord leverage data in their day to day by providing a delightful and reliable experience.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to take our nascent Data Products team from 0 to 1. As a manager responsible for the Data Products team, you will help us define the vision and future of Data Products at Discord and help build a full stack team to execute against that vision.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive the technical vision and roadmap for the Data Products team by collaborating with your team and stakeholders across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have a proven record of building and deploying distributed data systems at scale or developing delightful data applications on top of large-scale data infrastructure.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love to roll up your sleeves and getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new technologies to leverage to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Kafka, Beam).
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services.
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups.
- Strong open-source leadership or contributions.