This job might no longer be available.
Engineering Manager, Core Infrastructure
1 year ago
Our Core Infrastructure team manages the central systems that support our more than 11,500,000 concurrent users, ranging from our real-time Elixir services to how we store billions of messages in Cassandra. The team's central mission is to ensure Discord just works — delivering a reliable, scalable infrastructure that can support a globally distributed, massively concurrent userbase.
We are looking for a technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead our Core Infrastructure team and help us scale to the next level. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will have leadership and influence on the evolution of Discord's crucial primary systems and architecture.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll do
- Build a team of engaged engineers and lead them through coaching and mentorship
- Guide the technical vision and roadmap for the Core Infrastructure team by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions .
- You have a record of building and deploying high-scale distributed systems in a modern cloud-first world, but still, understand that the cloud is built on actual hardware and networks and what that means.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love to get elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends
- Experience working with the Erlang VM .
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform.
- Strong open-source leadership or contributions.
- Been a leader at a growing startup and seen what could happen next.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today—a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.