Engineering Manager, Applied AI
4 days ago
Zynga’s Applied AI group focuses on developing innovative approaches to problems within the game development process, demonstrating directly the ways that AI can add value throughout the creative process. Our first title, Spell Forest, is available for download today and builds on our new technology stack, designed to demonstrate what we call "AI-First Game Development".
You should have an interest in the areas of Game Development, Machine Learning, and Computational Creativity, and be prepared to mentor and grow contributors with an understanding of these fields. A passion for games is definitely an advantage!
As Engineering Manager, you will direct a team of Engineers within the group, focused on delivering technical solutions to challenges in Computational Creativity - unifying AI techniques and creative disciplines such as game design to create engaging experiences for our players. First and foremost you will act as a mentor, coaching the team and providing guidance and professional development. You should also have an ability to own projects end-to-end, designing solutions to problems, and think through how to architect scalable frameworks and services.
- Provide technical leadership across all decision making and project execution within the group
- Provide mentorship to the team to advance skill development in engineering
- Encourage engineering excellence across engineering and data science teams
- Deconstruct problem descriptions into systems architectures and create technical specifications for each component sub-system.
- Define engineering standards and establish processes to ensure these are met.
- Work closely with project management to ensure efficient resource allocation and appropriate delivery of work.
- Take a "lead by example" mentality, with up to 50% of your time contributing directly to project development.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency with least two of: Game Client Development (Unity/C#), Backend Technology (Python), Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Procedural Content Generation) and Tools Development
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; comfortable explaining technical topics to non-technical users.
- 4+ years of work experience in engineering or related fields
- Prior People Management experience preferred, but not required with sufficient experience of mentoring and coaching.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, and coordinate a remote-based team under these conditions
- B.S. or B.A. in Math, Statistics, Comp Sci, Engineering, or other technical fields, or equivalent professional experience; advanced degrees preferred.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary, bonus plan, Zynga RSU’s (Restricted Stock Units), ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- 401K Company Match Contribution
- Medical, dental, vision, EAP, life insurance, and disability benefits
- Virtual mental health and neuro-diversity support programs
- Family planning support program
- Generous paid maternity/parental leave
- Subsidized Back-up child care
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation policy for all full-time employees
- A diverse and inclusive team of friendly, fun, and supportive co-workers, as well as a company-wise culture of DEI support including employee resource groups
**During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
Zynga is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our diverse community; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. Zynga will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. We welcome candidates, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at AccommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation. #LI-LM1
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.