This job might no longer be available.
Engineering Lead, AR Services, AR HMD OS
2 months ago
The Niantic Augmented Reality Head Mounted Display (AR HMD) team is on a mission to build the most immersive and entertaining outdoor AR experiences. Building on Niantic's unparalleled AR gaming expertise and services, we will enhance the real-world with unique, engaging, and collaborative location-based adventures which encourage everyone to explore and enjoy the world around them. We are seeking innovative and pioneering engineers to be part of our journey.
Niantic is seeking a hands-on engineering leader to lead the development, integration and ongoing support of the AR Services software stack for the AR HMD. You will work with internal and external partners to define and build the key AR services and to integrate them into an extraordinary commercial product. You will be responsible for recruiting and cultivating an engineering team that collaboratively delivers new and innovative technology to our customers.
- Engineering managers at Niantic are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, tech lead, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Mentor engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, evaluate their performance and set measurable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Recruit and hire great talent for the team.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to define key product requirements and performance metrics for AR Services
- Develop system architectures and integration plans for the delivery of AR services.
- MS or PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, with focus on computer vision, robotics or related technologies.
- Experience building, optimizing and supporting SLAM and VIO systems in embedded systems.
- Experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- Excellence in written and verbal communication of both technical and non-technical information to multiple levels of the organization.
- Experience in crafting performant C/C++ software in a constrained embedded environment.
- You have experience working with open computer vision and AR/VR standards (eg: OpenCV, OpenXR), including working with AR frameworks such as ARCore and ARKit.
- Background in working with geometric computer vision systems.
- You have experience iteratively delivering software via Agile methodologies.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.