Engine AI Systems Programmer
3 days ago
Two simple questions:
- Are you an experienced Engine or AI Programmer looking to take on your next challenge?
- Do you want to work on proprietary core AI frameworks with the freedom to create new methods?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, read on my friend!
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the recently Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!
We are looking for someone like you to become our all-new Engine AI Systems Programmer and join our passionate and talented in-house tech team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
Engine AI Systems Programmer role:
The Engine AI Systems Programmer is a new role dedicated to creating and developing proprietary core AI Frameworks within our in-house engine, that can be shared with multiple games. Working with our in-house engine gives you the freedom and ability to chase exciting new methods as we are not tied into rules and limitations.
You will maintain an overall view of the AI systems on a project within our engine, and work closely with the project AI programmers, assisting with solving of issues and guiding implementation and use of engine AI system. As part of the in-house tech team, you will play a key role in develop and implement cutting edge artificial intelligence solutions for next-gen gameplay and ensure the integration of the work is in line with the technical direction of our projects
This role would suit an AI programmer with experience of system building and confident in C++ and other programming languages.
The Rebellion Programming team delivers code for multiple high-end projects with a focus on optimising code and delivery outcomes.
- Develop and implement AI system code to be used across all projects
- Work closely with the AI programming team and project design teams, assisting in solving of issues and guiding implementation
- Maintain an overall view of the AI systems in the engine and how they are being utilised by projects
- Play the games regularly, and report suggestions and any issues found
- Fixes non-trivial bugs in (mostly familiar) code in a timely manner.
- Finds and addresses performance issues.
- Performs extensive pre-commit testing of code changes and anticipates potential problems
- Comments code appropriately and adheres to coding standards
- Creates and updates technical and user documentation.
- Investigates warning messages (e.g. Asserts) when running code, reporting them on Jira where appropriate, and addresses such issues in familiar code
- Contributes to code reviews in familiar areas of code
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
- A strong academic background with a degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject, or equivalent professional games programming experience.
- At least 2 years industry experience
- Excellent C++ skills at a professional level
- Strong object-orientated programming and technical design, profiling and optimising, system design and 3D math skills, with sound knowledge of AI techniques (FSMs, path finding, behaviour trees, etc)
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills under pressure
- Capable of quickly familiarising yourself to work with a large existing codebase, learning new systems and concepts and implementing them quickly and efficiently
- Ability to structure and build a large system with others, working on a system from conception to completion, prototyping as well as producing final code
- Great team-work with game developers from all disciplines across the project, and the ability to accept and follow direction, with excellent initiative, self-motivation and organisational skills
- General knowledge of current games, consoles, multiplayer development, and/or development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce or other version control systems would be an advantage
- A genuine interest in playing games
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries