This job might no longer be available.
Encounter Designer, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
13 days ago
Team Name:World of Warcraft
Job Title:Encounter Designer, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
As an Encounter Designer for the World of Warcraft team you will contribute to the ongoing development of high-quality raid, dungeon, and world content through engaging combat abilities for creatures. In this role, you must be passionate about crafting compelling stories through the medium of gameplay mechanics.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this position is Boston, MA.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Populate the world of Azeroth with creatures and bring them to life through combat behaviors.
- Translate game concepts into specific raids, dungeons, and other encounters for immersive player experience.
- Stay aware of various play styles to build encounters that provide an accurate amount of challenge for different audiences.
- Work closely with the production team to maintain timely completion of encounters within a Zone, Dungeon, or Raid.
- Collaborate with fellow designers, as well as producers, artists, sound designers, and engineers to deliver great content.
- Participate in and contribute to a culture of inclusion and diversity.
- Ensure research is conducted for encounters
- Portfolio demonstrating equivalent experience OR Minimum 2 years experience working in design pipelines for live games or a SaaS product
- Demonstrated experience with game development best practices in a professional or academic setting
- Experience building combat encounters in open world RPG’s or MMO’s
Knowledge & Skills
- Familiarity with game content creation best practices (encounter design, level design, or other)
- Proficient knowledge with industry standard tools such as excel, game engines, and other proprietary tools required
- Proven experience working collaboratively cross-functionally
- Familiarity with Lua scripting.
- Excellent communications skills that can be used for comprehensive documentation
- Knowledge, understanding, and familiarity with Warcraft Universe and Lore
- Familiarity with World of Warcraft dungeon and raid content.
- The ability to consider multiple, conflicting, viewpoints and make the best overall decision.
- Resum e
- Cover letters are not required but are strongly encouraged, should include a bit about you, why you are interested in working on World of Warcraft, and some games you are currently playing.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com . General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
What We Offer:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision, most of which are 100% sponsored by Proletariat to cover you and your family.
- Flexible PTO Policy with a focus on minimum time away, rather than maximum.
- 401K plan with generous matching contributions.
- Wellness reimbursements and discounts
- Flexible working hours.
We provide a comprehensive benefits package to promote health and wellness along with financial security. Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Wellness program, free and discounted games, and voluntary supplemental life;
If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting our benefits page.In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $29.81 - $55.14 Hourly. These values reflect the expected base pay range of new hires across all U.S. locations. Ultimately, your specific range and offer will be based on several factors, including relevant experience, performance, and work location. Your Talent Professional can share this role’s range details for your local geography during the hiring process. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.