Edge Data Center Engineer - Edge Ops
11 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
WHY ROBLOX Infrastructure Foundation?
The Roblox Infrastructure team is in the process of establishing a scalable and reliable global network of Point of Presence Data Centers (POP). Our team moves quickly and responds to change even faster. This role is for individuals with an interest in current technologies and their scalability.
WHY EdgeOps Deployment?
The goal of Infrastructure deployment at the edge (EdgeOps) is to build well defined remote sites through planning, purchase, deployment, production and decommission.
- Work with our third-party vendor and engineering teams to improve site maintenance, performance metrics, and reliability standards of our global remote fleet.
- Learn the staged build process from our Sr. staff. Eventually take on full POP builds on by yourself, covering many tasks, including Planning, Administration, and Execution:
- Site Selection, Traffic, Hardware, and Cabling Requirements
- Rack ordering, Cable ordering, Asset Management, Site page management
- Physical build, Cabling, Site QA, Site maintenance
- Help with Network Troubleshooting: assist NetOps with troubleshooting network issues, such as link flaps, circuit down, and device replacement.
- Oversee Moves Adds and Changes (MAC) work in many POP locations.
- Create, influence, and improve the development platform, infrastructure, standards (Runbooks, SOPs, MOPs), and methods to ensure the goal of scalability and high availability can be achieved.
- Participate in the on-call rotation for our critical infrastructure.
- Experience: You have at minimum 5+ years of networking and server experience working in a Data Center Infrastructure environment.Extensive experience installing, monitoring, and maintaining server and network equipment. This includes brand new server and network provisioning.
- Passion about Data Center Technology. You have the curiosity and to continuously learn new techniques and tools to assist operational efficiency.
- Managed: in-house and third-party partners, verbally and in written form easily and succinctly.
- Experience as a capable Server and Network engineer. You understand the fundamentals of layer 1-3 networking standards and hardware. You have a strong skill set with maintaining and repairing server and network equipment.
- Strong background in Data Center Infrastructure. You have long and varied experience in building and maintaining Data Center hardware and infrastructure.
- Solid understanding of cabling. You have a solid foundation of types of cables (both copper & fiber, use of patch panels, structured cabling) and proper care of cables.
- Data Center experience in: structured cabling, Linux experience (Ubuntu),
- Fiber/optic knowledge:
- SR vs LR / MMF vs SMF
- Proper procedures of care/cleaning
- Tools (VFL, Light Meter, OTDR a definite plus)
- Networking experience:
- Previous experience with Juniper/Arista devices
- Knowledge with Opengear Console devices
- Understanding of Metro Optical devices
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
$150,690 — $184,590 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.