Director of Product, Developer Experience
3 months ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes , shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time ). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies . In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America .
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What We’re Looking For:
We are looking for an experienced Director of Product to head the Developer Experience product organization responsible for ensuring best in class experience for developers building on Skillz’s industry-leading competition platform.
The right leader will know how to inspire and lead a high-performing organization to deliver amazing world class experiences for our game developer community. You’ll lead a team of product managers, designers, and analysts in 3+ offices to create the future of digital competition. As the Head of the Product, you will own the product roadmap, positioning, and go-to-market strategy for our developer ecosystem initiatives. This is a newly created, strategic role on our senior leadership team with significant impact and visibility.
What You Will Do :
- Drive vision, execution and adoption of the Skillz developer platform by delivering a best-in-class developer experience. Own the product roadmap and deliver on key metrics such as dev conversion rate, adoption time, and developer support operational metrics.
- Enable and champion the Platform & Developer Experience initiatives, covering client and server SDK experience, 3rd party integrations, API standards, documentation, sample code and customer dashboards.
- Think Big! Foster innovation and experimentation, delivering software solutions that meet or exceed customer expectations. Solve the problems of today while thinking about tomorrow.
- Encourage and guide the team in their support of developer communities around the world and to use the knowledge the team gains to build amazing developer experience.
- Care deeply about people, diversity and equity. Attract, retain and grow top talent across a globally distributed organization.
- Communicate the vision of the product to internal and external audiences.
- 8+ years of experience building and delivering developer-centered experiences; be able to demonstrate the success and impact of your efforts for both users and business.
- 5+ years of management experience, including experience leading large product teams of 20+ people within a cross functional organization.
- Experience engaging, developing and owning global developer communities, with hand-on experience of building developer-facing products such as APIs/SDKs.
- A leader who people want to follow. You build trust, inspire, and mentor your team.
- A great communicator (verbal, written, and visual) who has the ability to influence and build consensus both within a product team and with executive stakeholders across the company.
- BA/BS and/or MA/MS in a related field.
- Experience building video game developer tooling/services, game engines or mobile gameplay experiences at a platform level.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.