Director - Player Journey, Demand Generation - Novato, California
Who We Are:
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems,
handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and
tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most
well known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, BioShock,
Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
Who are the Team:
The Director of Player Journey is a newly created position in the Demand Generation
department that is instrumental to the future strategy of 2K.
2K has a diverse range of products that have operated as product specific categories
and our focus now is to develop a strategy that looks at the complete player journey
and experience across all touchpoints as opposed to individual games; or individual
touchpoints by discipline/function - 2K’s goal is to put the player as the core focus of
our thinking, where as historically many strategies and initiatives have always been
game or franchise specific..
This person will be charged with creating and implementing a cross-portfolio player
strategy. This strategy should include a technology roadmap and influence 2K’s
wider data capture strategy for both owned and external data; both in and out of
game. This role will drive and be the primary customer for many enabling tech
projects / teams across the org and will be crucial to modernizing 2K’s approach to
player experience. This role will also be charged with working on more general
strategic and marketing initiatives that can shift the needle for the business and
elevate 2K’s thinking beyond specific game silos.
The role will be a highly cross-functional one with the successful candidate being
required to build relationships with teams across both 2K and our partners (both
retail and first party). These partners will be crucial in shaping the strategy and also
in providing assistance in its implementation.
The technology and data infrastructure requirements developed as a result of this
strategy will be built by a multidisciplinary team across 2K and T2 - with the Director
of Player Journey being a primary customer to various technology partners. As a
Built the successful candidate will be comfortable delving into technical discussions
- without necessarily needing to be a technology expert themselves.
Acknowledging that any strategy is only as good as its execution this role will also be
involved in operationalising the agreed strategy. This will include defining and
executing testing plans that bring scale across our player base, individual games and
across the entire 2K portfolio. You will work at the cutting edge of marketing
innovation – working with developers across our games to optimize the player
experience and messaging to ensure that 2K’s players are maximizing the value they
derive from their gaming experience.
The role will require someone who is able to deal confidently with projects and areas
that are not full defined, as a lot of the initiatives to become player focused will need
someone who can pivot quickly and create an ordered strategy out of a variety of
use cases, and jump on fast paced opportunities that present themselves or are
brought before the team. Since this role is a new function within 2K, there is a huge
amount of scope to define and create opportunities, and be a driving force in
defining what the R and R’s of this team should be - and which ones are actually
important in achieving the overall player focused goal.
This position is ideal for a hardworking and ambitious person who is both visionary
to drive the future strategy, but also rigorously focused on the detail and best
possible execution and can speak confidently to technical requirements and teams.
What You Will Do:
● Work with internal technology teams to develop and prioritize a roadmap to
deliver enhanced marketing capabilities for executional teams.
● Work with partners to appropriately and respectfully enrich player profiles to
allow our marketing campaigns to reward users for engagement.
● Ensure that player focused marketing strategies are maximized across our
existing owned and earned channels.
● Ensure that player experience is a core component of business wide
strategies, whether marketing specific or not
● Work with members of the marketing and growth teams to develop global
marketing strategies that focus on maximizing engagement both within and
across our franchises.
● Work with technology and analytics focused teams to build requirements for
future development related to our CRM capabilities, in-game ad platforms
and push notifications strategies.
● Hold technology teams accountable for delivery of these requirements and
work with them to unblock the team where appropriate.
● Work with multiple stakeholders across the business to ensure alignment on
strategy and the effective delivery of marketing plans.
● Create a general roadmap of how 2k becomes more player focused, whether
through enabling technology projects, or through strategic and marketing
● Socialize Strategies & Results: Create information resources, namely
powerpoint decks, to share and present information within 2KDG and
What Skills Are Needed:
● Self Starter and quick learner with the confidence and ability to tackle new
initiatives with little guidance.
● Ability to work in undefined spaces and tackle shaping them head on.
● Expert knowledge of Digital Marketing strategies required.
● Knowledge of product development processes and AGILE approaches to
development are a strong advantage.
● A genuine interest in pushing the boundaries on marketing strategies and
capabilities within 2K.
● Experience of using data to create stories for high level consumption.
● Highly numerate with strong analytical skills. Ability to quickly digest large
amounts of data, perform analysis and identify trends to make data-based
business decisions. Excel expertise.
● Excellent attention to detail.