Director of Engineering, Applications
10 days ago
Founded in 2007, Lumos Labs is the leader in brain training. Over 100 million users have used our Lumosity application to train their cognitive skills, playing our games over 6 billion times. We are now applying our unique approach to building scientifically-validated, delightfully fun, and deeply engaging products to other aspects of brain health and wellness. We are incubating multiple “seed-stage startups” within the company, in areas like creativity, mindfulness, emotional intelligence, and more. We are building one of the premiere digital health brands and are looking for talented, mission-oriented people to join us on the journey.
Lumos is looking for a talented engineering leader to head up all of our application teams. This is a key role for the company, reporting directly to the CTO. We currently have 5 distinct product teams (mini-startups) within the company, each with between 1 and 5 engineers. In total ~20 engineers will report up to this position. While this is a management position, ideal candidates will have deep technical expertise in mobile and strong opinions (weakly held) about best practices.
- Help build the future of Lumosity by launching and iterating on new applications
- Set technical direction for the company, particularly in the areas of mobile development, API design, and supporting backend services
- Mentor and coach a talented team of engineers distributed around the world
- Recruit new high-caliber engineers to join the team
- Work very closely with product to define scope and set timelines
- Streamline our development processes with a focus on consistent, predictable delivery and high-quality output
- 5+ years leading application engineering teams at consumer tech startups (company size < 200 people total)
- Direct past experience as a mobile developer, ideally on both iOS and Android
- Experience launching brand new products from the ground up
- Strong knowledge of modern tech stacks and tooling
- Experience with growth engineering (marketing tech integration, funnel analytics, etc)
- Skilled at aligning a technical roadmap with business objectives
- Great people management skills
- Great project management and communication skills
- Games engineering experience, full-stack experience (nice-to-haves)
- Competitive compensation, including salary and benefits on par with later-stage companies and equity compensation on par with earlier-stage ones.
- The excitement and fun of the early-stage startup paired with the maturity and stability of a later-stage business with substantial revenue and company infrastructure.
- An egoless environment that fosters collaboration of all types. We have a culture of ownership, trust, camaraderie, and fun.
- A focus on sustainability - in our products, our business, and for our employees.
- A culture that values coming together and sharing our varied interests to illuminate new and inspiring ideas, all with a focus on helping our users make meaningful improvements in their lives.
- The opportunity to learn, grow, and bond with a tight community of co-workers based in SF, and with teammates around the world (NY, Portland, Minnesota, Brazil, Serbia, Ukraine, India).
- All of the perks that one would expect from a modern-day SF tech company.