Director of Engineering - AdTech and Data Engineering
Irvine, CA, United States
2 months ago
Looking for a fun, innovative, creative, passionate, and stable company in Orange County? Then, let us introduce ourselves. We are MobilityWare and we make fun for a living! Our mobile games have been at the top of the app store since its inception (2008) and we regularly show up in lists for most popular mobile games. We recently reached over 410 million downloads across our portfolio of games!
We've been voted 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Best Places to Work in Orange County by the Orange County Business Journal and OC Register! Headquartered in Irvine, CA., our flagship game, Solitaire, was released on the day the App Store opened in 2008. Other titles include Blackjack, FreeCell, Destination Solitaire, Slots and Spider Solitaire, to name a few. Our vision is to create the most exciting mobile games and have fun doing it.
We are looking for an engineering leader for the MobilityWare Advertising & Data Platform group. The Advertising & Data Platform group at MobilityWare is building a suite of client and server technologies to deliver advertising to our huge audience of engaged players worldwide.
As Technical Director you will manage and drive the strategic direction for team leads, helping them in developing, task planning and leading both on the technical and organizational aspects. You will also assist with the management of resources in other areas such as architecture, devops and data engineering.
You will own technical design and be responsible for the development and operational execution of the advertising and data platform and services. You will create a working environment where top technical talent will thrive and you will lead your team to deliver a top-tier suite of products & services that will delight our advertisers and customers. We are looking for a leader with strong technical acumen who can not only suggest new technologies but also enhance our current technology and raise the acumen of our technical staff. You will work closely with senior product owners and stakeholders to help execute the core product roadmap and report directly to the Chief Revenue Officer.
- Direct, guide and review the work of the Ads & Data Platform full-stack engineering team.
- Work with fast-paced initiatives, overseeing projects from idea conception and strategy development to deployment, production, and operations.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of monitoring, continuous integration and platform integration.
- Work closely with other stakeholders to define requirements and translate them into high-performance & scalable architectures
- Align technical design and development practices with architectural vision for systems.
- Assess the existing infrastructure and design a deployment strategy that meets requirements for performance, stability, and disaster recovery
- Partner with Product Management to own the Ads and Data Platform engineering roadmap.
- Partner with Advertising Operations team and Game teams to extend, maintain, scale and operate MobilityWare’s Ad Server.
- Partner with Program Management to produce project schedules and communicate progress.
- Align software engineering practices and products with measurable business objectives.
- The Technical Director Ad Tech & Data is a hands-on role. You’ll lead your team by example, spending a good portion of your time writing code.
- Serve as the lead engineer on various projects ultimately responsible for the quality and direction of the software systems.
- Evangelize engineering best practices throughout the organization.
- Ensure that systems designed and develop meet and/or exceed expectations on scalability, execution speed, reliability and quality.
- Proactively support production systems.
- Handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Formal degree (BS or MS) in CS, Math or technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Previous relevant experience as a Software Engineering Manager, Technical Director or Director of Engineering.
- A minimum of 10 years working in software engineering.
- Strong preference for experience working in ad tech (focus on server-side), data engineering and highly scalable web services.
- Strong architecture design skills especially using cloud tooling.
- High level of skill in at least one modern OO or functional programming language commonly used in ad tech and data engineering (Java, .NET, Python, Scala, etc) and familiarity with several
- Strong OO design skills and ability to apply those skills to service design at multiple layers from RESTful interface definition to relational and document-oriented storage design
- Strong knowledge of SOA design including service partitioning, messaging, discovery, and orchestration.
- Strong knowledge of Agile project management principles and how it applies to software engineering practice from development to version control, code review, artifact creation, release management.
- Knowledge of ad technologies such as Data Management Platforms (DMPs), Demand-Side Platforms (DSPs), Supply-Side Platforms (SSPs), Ad Exchanges & Real Time Bidding (RTB) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of database technologies including Big Data technologies such as Hive, Presto, Redshift, Dynamo, MPP, Spark, MemSql, Cassandra, Kafka, Kinesis strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and desire to work in a DevOps oriented software organization with the ability to design, deploy, and support a full-stack service solution in the cloud.Bonus points for wizardry with Docker, container orchestration such as Kubernetes, and cloud tooling (especially AWS).
- Preference for those knowledgeable of and interest in client technologies including web technologies (HTML, CSS, JS) and game client technologies (iOS, Android, Unity)
- Familiarity with open source development methodologies. Bonus points for ideas about how these techniques could be applied for internally developed tools and libraries
Why you should work for us
- Killer Perks: free lunch, free snacks, free soda, free coffee, free trips, free dental, free vision
- Casually awesome workplace - yes, flip flops and shorts are pretty much an everyday thing
- Growth, growth, growth - we are growing and we'd love for you to join us on the ride
- We also want to take care of our team so we've got profit sharing incentives, medical (100% paid option), dental (100% paid), vision (100% paid), Open/Flexible PTO, life insurance (100% paid), and 401K
- Amazing office smack dab in the middle of OC and 2 minutes off the 5 freeway