Director of Analytics
San Francisco, CA
5 days ago
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn , Twitter and on our Blog .
About the Position
The Central Science team at Twitch is central to evidence-driven decision-making. The Sr. Director of Analytics leads a team of analysts, data architects, and governance experts who make sense of the billions of records we ingest a day and decide how to make them relevant and comprehensible to staff across the business. We help everyone find high quality, well documented data by building our own dense data sets, evolving them to meet shifting business needs, and evangelizing their application to business problems of all kinds. We don’t do ad-hoc work; we are focused on raising the effectiveness of staff at Twitch, not answering data questions directly.
- Own the charter for Central Analytics. How best should we make it fast and easy to use data for decision-making across the company?
- Facilitate the on-time delivery of major analytics projects including new metrics, new interfaces.
- Set the vision for key analytics programs including data governance, data quality, and data knowledge management.
- Build processes that make sure we are doing the right work for our internal customers and are in touch with their pain points operating in our data environment.
- Drive consensus about how we should measure the business whenever there is ambiguity.
- Earn the trust of senior leaders that our data means what we want it to mean, and that we are actively detecting and resolving anything that might undermine the legitimacy of our measurement.
- Mentor and develop staff in your area, helping them develop their skills, have new professional experiences, and satisfy their career goals.
- We don’t have hard requirements on degrees or years of experience; we encourage anyone to apply that can demonstrate their skills as a data leader. But as a benchmark, we generally expect candidates to have 10+ years in analytics, and 5+ years as a leader with significant roadmap control, not service delivery.
- You have worked with petabyte-scale customer behavior data before, including designing and owning the transformations that make that data useful for staff.
- You have a track record of raising the data maturity level of both your team and entire organizations, improving staff leverage, job satisfaction, and business outcomes.
- You have a strong empathy for data staff and what they need from their data foundations to be effective.
- You are a compassionate manager with a history of designing effective and healthy team structures through setting, a clear charter, goals, and expectations for team members.
- You are a top flight written and spoken communicator, and can effectively switch communication style between engineers, data staff, and executives. You can explain complex technical topics at appropriate levels of detail for each audience.
- You have an infectious passion for data and how everyone can use it to deliver better outcomes for Twitch and its customers.
- You are familiar with AWS data stack tools
- You have worked in a media/entertainment business before
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.