Director, Product and Privacy Law
San Francisco, California, United States
13 days ago
As the Director of Product and Privacy Law you will be a part of our growing legal team at one of the most interesting companies on the planet. Reporting to our Chief Legal Officer, you'll help guide Discord forward on important issues as we launch new products and expand our user base across the world.
You'll get to work with some super cool people, including our Product Managers and Engineering leaders. Together, you'll form a team whose main goal is to ensure our users are safe and that our product stays ahead of the curve on all things compliance-related. To top it all off, you'll play an essential part to help shape the values and priorities of our Legal team.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What you'll be doing
- Partner with our product managers and engineering leaders to ensure that the products we build not only comply with the law but also reflect our company’s commitment to integrity and user trust. This will require you to identify compliance risks and then propose practical solutions
- Grow our privacy program and ensure that we continue to be a responsible steward of our user’s personal information
- Help our Marketing and Community teams resolve legal and privacy issues in connection with their creative campaigns and programs
- Analyze regulatory and privacy law developments around the world and evaluating what these mean for our products
- Serve as an expert resource for our Trust & Safety and Public Policy teams for nuanced or first-impression product and privacy questions raised by users
- Support the personal career growth of other team members
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- Experience at a well-respected law firm
- Strong knowledge of U.S. federal and state privacy and consumer protection laws
- Ability to evaluate and develop compliance strategies for legal and regulatory frameworks outside the United States
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, making good decisions under tight deadlines
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented company
- Work experience in the public sector or at civil society organization
- Expertise in legal and regulatory aspects of consumer payments
- Experience managing international trade compliance for software and digital goods, including embargo compliance, export/import controls, and denied-party screening
- Programming and gaming skills
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Discord is a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.