Sunnyvale, CA; Zurich, Switzerland
17 days ago
We have an exciting opportunity on our Software team for a strong leader with exceptional development/research skills in the field of Computer Vision and Machine Learning. The Director will be part of the senior leadership team in Perception organization. He/She will be primarily responsible to lead and drive the research and development of multiple core perception components across multiple organizations spanning beyond the Perception team. The candidate’s responsibilities extend to working closely with the executive team to establish the scope and schedule of the product critical projects, drive the formation of technical teams and ensure a cohesive alignment of all essential technical expertise by setting optimal communication strategies. The candidate must come with world-recognized expertise in at least one of the following core technical areas of geometric vision and machine learning: sensor calibration (cameras, IMUs, displays), visual-inertial odometry, dense environment mapping, eye tracking, 3D scene understanding. The candidate will take an active deciding role in release planning, scheduling, and assigning individual developers within their technical team. Qualified candidates will be driven self-starters, robust thinkers, strong collaborators, effective leaders and adept at operating in a highly dynamic environment. We look for colleagues that are passionate about our product and embody our values.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the research and development team within the Perception team.
- Lead the research and development effort of advanced product-critical computer vision and deep learning components covering key product critical perception features such as head pose tracking, eye tracking, environment mapping, sensor calibration, long-term and large scale localization, object recognition and scene understanding.
- Lead a team of engineers and researchers and manage them to deliver the features from research to product.
- Define and execute the roadmap of new features.
- Actively contribute to Magic Leap Intellectual Property and publish the research findings in peer-reviewed conferences.
- Work hand-in-hand with the key stakeholders and developers across the company using computer vision components.
- Support overall research engineering and architecture efforts of computer vision and machine learning components.
- Act as a mentor and subject matter expert within the Perception team and with other key stakeholders.
- 10+ years of working experience in Perception research and/or targeted product development.
- 7+ years working as a manager and leading engineering teams.
- Experience leading engineering teams from first concept to ship.
- World recognized expert knowledge and strong leadership experience in Computer Vision with extensive publication record and specialization in at least one of the following domains:
- Sensor Calibration: Design and implement algorithms for online and offline intrinsic and extrinsic calibration of complex devices composed of several sensors, cameras, IMUs, depth sensors, and imagers. Collaborate with other engineers on the design and deployment of fully automatic robotics-aided calibration processes targeted for factory production.
- Visual-Inertial Odometry: Design and implement advanced algorithms for estimating the 6DOF pose of a head-mounted device by optimally fusing visual and inertial measurements collected from multiple cameras and IMUs.
- Long-term and Large scale mapping: Design and implement advanced algorithms for large scale mapping to extend computer vision spaces to large areas.
- Dense Environment Mapping: Design and implement advanced algorithms for reconstructing dense 3D models of large-scale indoor environments using depth sensors.
- Scene Understanding and Semantics: Design and implement segmentation algorithms based on depth, motion or texture data. Build algorithms to understand the environment and add semantic meaning on real-world objects.
- Eye Tracking: Design and implement advanced algorithms for real-time stereoscopic eye vergence tracking.
- Perception algorithms on cloud: Research, architect, and implement high-performance computer vision software in the cloud with state-of-the-art capabilities.
- Expert level in C/C++/OpenCV (programming and debugging).
- Experience in Deep Learning is strongly preferred with knowledge of at least one of TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Caffe.
- MS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering (with a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience).
- Ph.D. is preferred (with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience).
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.