This job might no longer be available.
Director, People & Culture
5 days ago
A Little About Us
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. We are focused on making our mark as a next-generation, live operations games company.
We believe that each Viking is unique and brings exponential value to the company. In return, we provide Vikings with the opportunity to solve problems through continuous learning and fostering feedback, ultimately mastering their craft. By investing in our Vikings and in new technologies, we can continue our success for years to come.
We are embarking on an adventure and rely on our team of skilled, enthusiastic, and collaborative Vikings to turn our ship towards a new horizon. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join us on this new journey and help hoist the sails!
The Nitty Gritty
Big Viking Games is seeking a strategic and data-driven People & Culture (P&C) Director to join our energetic People & Culture team! You’ll be overseeing a team of 3: our P&C Manager, P&C Coordinator, and Recruiter. Working alongside the P&C team, as well as our Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the P&C Director will be responsible for general P&C duties with a focus on transforming the Viking experience from start to finish, setting a strategy for building a team of Vikings that are empowered to make fans, improving employer branding, internal culture initiatives, and designing as well as implementing a world-class recruitment system to attract and retain potential Vikings. Our ideal candidate will be motivated to take on a Senior role at a growing company, as we navigate a post-pandemic world. With that in mind, this position is offered remotely, based out of Ontario, or another remote location.
- As a member of the SLT, the Director will bring a confident voice to business-critical conversations and decisions. In conversations, you will demonstrate your well-earned expertise and also present data-driven solutions, to ensure Viking needs and priorities are a key part of BVG’s business decisions
- The Director will build a robust Viking lifecycle experience by setting the people strategy, securing SLT buy-in, and driving initiatives through to execution
- Enable BVG to navigate the future of work, guiding how we undertake transformation initiatives and recruitment best practices for remote environments that are reflective of pandemic realities and the future of work
- Oversee and make recommendations to organizational structure to ensure Vikings are best positioned to make fans stronger, everyday. In other words, help BVG ensure it is customer- or fan-centric in everything we do
- Oversee the assessment of employee engagement, presenting insights and recommendations to the SLT. This includes quarterly surveys as well as regular pulse updates and informal polling. Represent Vikings accurately as their voice on the SLT
- Lead Viking communications and support the P&C team in developing materials for all internal and external recruitment and employer brand communications initiatives
- Create a consistent and meaningful Viking employee experience. Using survey findings and external best practices, design and improve the Viking experience from recruitment and onboarding to goal setting and mentoring, and through to Viking alumni
- Draw on evolving best practices in diversity, inclusion and belonging to inform the Viking experience. Update or create appropriate policies, lead SLT conversations on important issues, and lead training experiences for Vikings
- Oversee the performance management process, including annual performance reviews, and the introduction of new feedback mechanisms to increase the frequency and quality of feedback at all levels
- Coach people leaders and managers to help them drive effective career conversations, foster feedback and encourage their people to master their craft through personal development and growth planning
- Provide expertise in the development and execution, planning, and facilitation of employee relations efforts and have a deep understanding of employment legislation and people best practices
The Must Haves
- 7+ years of HR experience in a high-growth environment (Tech or Gaming)
- 5+ years of experience as an HR Leader/Manager
- University Degree (or equivalent experience)
- A proactive, energetic and entrepreneurial leadership style
- Knowledge of HR legislation and applications along with demonstrated project management/change management skills
- Comfortable operating in a constantly changing environment
- High EQ, with strong communication, interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills
- Ability to effectively manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical thinking and ability to analyze trends with data and key metrics to propose recommendations
The Nice to Haves
- CHRP (or higher) designation
- Experience running an HR department for a remote or hybrid workplace, working with international employees
- Experience building job matrices, performance review systems, and compensation policies
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits
- A generous amount of Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Days, Family Leave)
- Competitive Salaries
- Professional Growth
- Health & Wellness Benefits (Employee Assistance Program, Monthly Spending Account, Wellness Initiatives)
- Vikoins (Peer Recognition Program & Rewards)
- Stock Options
- Group RRSP
- Frequent remote events/meetings to stay connected with your peers and share company updates
Becoming a Viking
Are you cut from our cloth? Does the idea of working for a gaming company and doing what you love every day get you so excited that you kind of want to scream? Great! Send us your resume!
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.