Director, Live Services AAA
24 days ago
Are you a highly motivated and curious leader looking to join one of the most exciting teams in gaming? Are you passionate about understanding and optimizing user experiences? Are you intrigued by the opportunity to help set the strategy and own the outcomes for some of the world’s most beloved gaming franchises? If so, 2K may be the place for you!
Who We Are:
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. We are proud to publish and support many of today’s most critically acclaimed gaming franchises, including BioShock, Borderlands, NBA 2K, Sid Meier’s Civilization, XCOM and WWE 2K.
What We Need:
The Director of Live Services is a member of the 2K Growth team, responsible for leading Live Service strategy, planning, execution and optimization across multiple key AAA franchises, including Civ, XCOM, Borderlands and more. In this role, you will lead a team of commercial strategists and analysts responsible for charting a course for post-launch live services activities and engagement in close partnership with several key cross-functional teams. It is much more than just planning, though – your team will also drive live service execution, analysis and continued optimization based on the outcomes of our campaigns and activities. If you’re a curious, data-driven storyteller and creative problem solver with a passion for the types of gaming experiences listed above, this just may be the role for you!
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Collaborate with partner studios to develop/execute customer-centric Live Service vision and strategies in close partnership with Product Development (PD), Brand, Analytics and Creative teams across (but not limited to)
- User segmentation & lifecycle strategy
- In-game Stores & Content (volume, nature, mix, release cadence, pricing, etc.)
- Limited Time Modes & Events
- Post-launch Progression Systems (Seasons, Objectives, Challenges, etc.)
- User Onboarding & Education Systems (both in- and out-of-game)
- Personalized / targeted content systems (messages, gifts, offers, etc.)
- Partner with PD and Analytics to develop fair and balanced monetization models and lifecycle promotional content that empower customer choice and value for time
- Partner with Analytics to develop KPI frameworks and comprehensive live service reporting, working closely with Data Engineering to establish telemetry requirements and BI to build user-friendly dashboards and reports
- Partner with Data Science and Live Ops Analytics teams to develop predictive behavioral models and design/develop Live Service backend systems and tools (e.g. ML personalization)
- Collaborate with Creative Services to develop best-in-class, localized art and messaging assets for live services campaign executions
- Align with Performance Marketing teams on audience sizing, prioritization, content, messaging and localization for targeted retention and (to a lesser extent) acquisition campaigns
- Lead monthly cross-functional strategy syncs to align on cross-functional goals and objectives
- Establish performance targets for each franchise and live service campaign
- Lead ad hoc user health and behavioral/engagement analyses, articulate prevailing trends throughout the publishing and studio organizations, and align with key stakeholders to identify, model and execute optimization opportunities
- Maintain subject matter expertise on industry trends related to engagement, retention and monetization
- Drive professional development for each team member by identifying strengths/weaknesses, setting growth goals and consistently providing constructive coaching
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit:
The ideal candidate is, first and foremost, passionate about optimizing great user experiences via data-driven insights and ideas. They are always seeking the ‘WHY’ and the ‘So What’ insights needed to move the ball forward. They are a strong, articulate leader who people are excited to partner with and follow. They are methodical (but agile), objective- and hypothesis-driven, experienced and comfortable working cross-functionally to tackle big questions. They are rigorous in testing hypotheses, and a dogged problem solver who loves finding new ways to delight our players.
The ideal candidate must have a solid understanding of video games and the industry to help our franchises and studios make great decisions. This doesn’t necessarily mean they have worked in the industry but does mean they have a sense of what live services looks like across different genres and experiences today, including those listed above. Solution oriented, creative problem solvers and relationship builders with great passion and enthusiasm for ever improving user experiences should find this role to be both incredibly exciting and fulfilling.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marketing, Statistics or Business; advanced degree a plus
- Highly organized, energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical operational initiatives
- Working understanding of live services mechanics and strategies across AAA genres and franchises in the market today (both premium and Free-2-Play)
- Strong understanding of user segmentation, targeting and A/B testing
- Experience identifying, communicating, managing, and mitigating risks
- Ability to manage ambiguity and propose workable solutions to challenging problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to work collaboratively across numerous internal and external teams
- Proven ability to contribute as a member of a leadership team in a competitive, fast-paced, creative environment
- Detail orientated, curious and fast learner
- Proficiency with SQL and Tableau a plus, but not required
Location: Novato, CA | Flexible