Director, Gameplay Management
8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Summary: Responsible for directing and managing the team of Gameplay leaders and programmers, who develop gameplay features and systems across multiple AAA products. Collaborates with senior leadership to establish studio strategic objects and oversees strategic execution for the Gameplay department. Responsible for consistently delivering excellence in Gameplay programming on multiple products while sustaining a high-level of well-being for the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- In collaboration with senior leadership, develop studio goals and plans and oversee execution by the Gameplay department.
- Promotes studio and technology vision and mission.
- Sets the strategic direction for the department and directs department leadership in its execution.
- Ensures that Gameplay managers are fluent in and able to effectively execute company policy and process, including hiring, onboarding, career-pathing, goal setting, performance managing, staffing, and scheduling.
- Develops and implements a team structure that maximizes both the quality of work and employee well-being.
- Supports global initiatives within studio, PlayStation Studios and Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with partners at PlayStation Studios, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and external vendors.
- Manages department budget.
- Maintains a current awareness of technologies and processes throughout the game industry.
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises design and gameplay programming leads and directs studio department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Fifteen plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Large team leadership, with experience navigating multiple simultaneous projects
- Creative collaboration and problem solving, with an understanding that often it is appropriate to defer to the expertise of specialists
- Demonstrated high-level business, strategic and contemporary management skills and oriented both towards the big picture and operational detail
- Effective time management, with the ability to delegate tasks and focus on larger issues while monitoring critical smaller details
- A strong critical eye for detail and the ability to communicate effectively with the team to resolve issues
- Communication with both large groups and individuals, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Deadline-oriented approach, with the ability to get results even in difficult situations
- A leadership style that is marked by personal visibility, open communication, relationship building, collegiality, and teamwork
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the poise and the ability to relate effectively to others at all levels, state a point of view, and advocate for a position within a strong and assertive senior executive group
- Expertise in an application programming language (C++ preferred)
- Ability to understand and adhere to the prevalent coding style and practice
- Understanding of procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms
- Adaptive coding style
- Visual Studio experience, JSON, and Maya experience a plus
- Ability to use common workplace software like Microsoft Office products
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.