Austin, TX, United States
11 days ago
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products. Also, we are creating compelling new games of our own.
Certain Affinity is looking for an exceptional Development Director to help manage our co-development projects.
As a Development Director, you will oversee the project schedules, team process, and management, staffing and budgets, and help guide the teams to meet high quality, on-time deliverables for our co-development partners. Your focus will be on reliably achieving outcomes, proactively solving problems, and ensuring our co-dev projects run smoothly and efficiently. This position is a crucial leadership role that involves a high level of interaction with team members, peers, co-dev business and development partners, and studio leadership.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead and grow a strong production management team; oversee recruiting, onboarding, retention, coaching, and mentoring staff.
- Partner with the business development team and co-dev business lead to find and sign new co-dev projects.
- Drive co-dev project planning and execution; hold teams accountable for meeting milestone commitments and quality targets.
- Develop team-wide processes that foster excellent communication and responsible, repeatable development practices.
- Drive efficiencies and new ways of thinking that reduce costs and inefficiencies and increase output and predictability.
- Coordinate with supporting organizations across the company and with co-development partners to improve communications and manage dependencies.
- Set goals and priorities that help teams focus on the critical few: filters issues based on a clear understanding of project strategies and objectives.
- Solve problems of all types as they arise and find creative and effective solutions that achieve results for our co-development teams while maintaining compatibility with our full development projects.
- Work closely with the various discipline leads to determine proper project staffing and outsourcing needs and pipelines.
- Foster an engaging, fulfilling, and fun working environment that values individual backgrounds and experience and prioritizes quality work/life balance without sacrificing project goals.
- A minimum of 7 years of lead project management experience in the online AAA console and PC game development spaces
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and both gamer- and business client-focused
- Experience working, partnering, and building strong relationships with established developers, publishers, brands, and IP holders
- Successful experience working with co-development partners
- Thorough understanding of the mechanics behind, value of, and challenges inherent in cross-discipline team collaboration, distributed development, and development-driven product ownership
- Ability to multi-task and handle many discrete, highly varied, high priority tasks at once without losing focus on any individual items and without missing a stride
- In-depth knowledge of game development – team dynamics, common development hurdles, game engines and technology, development milestone definitions, production process and methodology, outsourcing and co-development scheduling, etc.
- A cool-headed, diplomatic leader able to maintain critical confidentially and experienced having crucial, and at times sensitive, conversations
- Excellent people skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and remotely to solve problems efficiently
- An expert understanding of game production and proven ability to effectively schedule, communicate, and monitor tasks
- Great with time estimations, assessments, and prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to collaboratively develop and implement the best production practices regarding the specific needs of the individual partners and teams
- Advanced project management software skills using Jira or other common project management software
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- College degree in a related field such as Computer Science or Business Management
- Experience with large-scale development using UE4
- Experience with online multiplayer and FPS titles
- Experience with free-to-play and games as a service (GAAS) titles
- Avid action and competitive gamer on multiple platforms
This position requires the ability to travel internationally. Relocation to Austin, TX, is a requirement. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.