This job might no longer be available.
Austin, TX, United States
7 months ago
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products. Also, we are creating compelling new games of our own.
Certain Affinity is looking for an exceptional Development Director to help manage our co-development projects.
As a Development Director, you will oversee the project schedules, team process, and management, staffing and budgets, and help guide the teams to meet high quality, on-time deliverables for our co-development partners. Your focus will be on reliably achieving outcomes, proactively solving problems, and ensuring our co-dev projects run smoothly and efficiently. This position is a crucial leadership role that involves a high level of interaction with team members, peers, co-dev business and development partners, and studio leadership.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead and grow a strong production management team; oversee recruiting, onboarding, retention, coaching, and mentoring staff.
- Partner with the business development team and co-dev business lead to find and sign new co-dev projects.
- Drive co-dev project planning and execution; hold teams accountable for meeting milestone commitments and quality targets.
- Develop team-wide processes that foster excellent communication and responsible, repeatable development practices.
- Drive efficiencies and new ways of thinking that reduce costs and inefficiencies and increase output and predictability.
- Coordinate with supporting organizations across the company and with co-development partners to improve communications and manage dependencies.
- Set goals and priorities that help teams focus on the critical few: filters issues based on a clear understanding of project strategies and objectives.
- Solve problems of all types as they arise and find creative and effective solutions that achieve results for our co-development teams while maintaining compatibility with our full development projects.
- Work closely with the various discipline leads to determine proper project staffing and outsourcing needs and pipelines.
- Foster an engaging, fulfilling, and fun working environment that values individual backgrounds and experience and prioritizes quality work/life balance without sacrificing project goals.
- A minimum of 7 years of lead project management experience in the online AAA console and PC game development spaces
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and both gamer- and business client-focused
- Experience working, partnering, and building strong relationships with established developers, publishers, brands, and IP holders
- Successful experience working with co-development partners
- Thorough understanding of the mechanics behind, value of, and challenges inherent in cross-discipline team collaboration, distributed development, and development-driven product ownership
- Ability to multi-task and handle many discrete, highly varied, high priority tasks at once without losing focus on any individual items and without missing a stride
- In-depth knowledge of game development – team dynamics, common development hurdles, game engines and technology, development milestone definitions, production process and methodology, outsourcing and co-development scheduling, etc.
- A cool-headed, diplomatic leader able to maintain critical confidentially and experienced having crucial, and at times sensitive, conversations
- Excellent people skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and remotely to solve problems efficiently
- An expert understanding of game production and proven ability to effectively schedule, communicate, and monitor tasks
- Great with time estimations, assessments, and prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to collaboratively develop and implement the best production practices regarding the specific needs of the individual partners and teams
- Advanced project management software skills using Jira or other common project management software
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- College degree in a related field such as Computer Science or Business Management
- Experience with large-scale development using UE4
- Experience with online multiplayer and FPS titles
- Experience with free-to-play and games as a service (GAAS) titles
- Avid action and competitive gamer on multiple platforms
This position requires the ability to travel internationally. Relocation to Austin, TX, is a requirement. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.