Development Director (Contract) - Maxis
7 days ago
Welcome to Maxis, home to tinkerers, craftspeople, & storytellers. Our drive is to inspire everyone to make a better world through creative play. As the developer of the Sims, we create games and experiences for millions of people around the world and are always looking for new ways to inspire our players. Maxis is a place where you can do what you love and help others grow while doing it; a place where your unique voice can be heard and seen. We put creativity and inclusivity at the core of our work and don't settle for seeing the world only as it is but strive to build a world as it could be. Read on to see how you can join our team and dream big.
You will be reporting to a Development Director.
Location: Remote North America - open to most North America locations
A Maxis Development Director helps drive our team through our milestones to deliver on features, implementations, and builds, all while being mindful of our scope and capacity, as well as our long-term deliverables. As a DD, you will partner with producers, craft directors and peers to ensure that the project is delivered to spec, on time, to quality, and within budget. DDs will also manage members of the development team, helping them grow their careers and skills within the studio.
- Guide the delivery of features across your team:
- Clearly communicate deliverables and scope and capacity to the team
- Working on roadmap planning with craft leads, and aligning with team leadership to establish time and targets
- Run sprint and milestone planning meetings
- Proactively identify and escalate risks and concerns about targets for features and milestones.
- Create and help drive alignment around mitigation strategies to de-escalate risks.
- Drive and support hiring for your team; help define roles and responsibilities. Work with recruiting and internal studio managers, and participate in interviews to build your team.
- Help build, improve, and drive processes across our project management tools; planning, scope/capacity tracking, tool and plugin testing, and establishing best practices.
- Help establish and cultivate Team Culture going forward; be a leader that embodies the values of the studio influencing how we create, develop, and work as a team.
- Manage a team providing career growth, feedback, and reviews across several disciplines.
- Foster an engaging, fulfilling, trusting and fun working environment that is inclusive and diverse.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Experience with JIRA and using it for Agile and waterfall methodologies for task tracking.
- Able to define and maintain scope and capacity for your team and map out those details into deliverables.
- Comfortable with developing a project and taking ownership with the ability to guide and adapt processes to meet the needs of the project.
- Ability to drive and maintain the partnership with Production and Design to achieve agreement on priorities amidst the needs of the project and our deadlines.
- People management experience in career growth & skills development.