Desktop Support Technician (Temporary)
Eden Prairie Minnesota 55344 United States of America
7 days ago
Job Title:Desktop Support Technician (Temporary)
Job Title: Desktop Support Technician (Temporary)
Reports To: Manager, QA-MIS
Division: Quality Assurance
I. Basic Function:
The Desktop Support Technician is a support function to the Senior Lead, QA-MIS / Manager, CSQA Technology and outside CSQA ATVI groups and developers. This position will train and/or supervise a team of testers that will vary in size based on demands within CSQA to provide hardware support, software support and licensing, research on technology issues and development of better training in those technologies. The Desktop Support Technician maintains developer relations, and inventory control for the entire Quality Assurance department. This person will do their part to ensure an effective and organized QA department that releases the highest quality products possible.
II. Duties and Responsibilities:
Hardware Support (30%)
- Maintenance and repair of systems to keep them up to project standards.
- Cleanup and restoration of systems to original condition during and after each project to ensure clean testing.
- Repair of damaged systems on site or through warranty. Upgrading systems as needed to meet industry standards and consumer trends.
- Networking all systems to provide easy access to systems and software necessary to complete testing projects.
- Purchase, setup, and installation of new computers.
- Troubleshooting hardware problems.
- Insuring that the QA printers are efficiently working at all times.
- Checking the Help Desk database for hardware problem entries. Responding to these hardware entries in a timely manner.
Software Support and License (25%)
- Install new applications in accordance with license agreements, and prevention of intentional and accidental piracy of software. Tracking license agreements.
- Troubleshooting software problems.
- System backups and restoration.
- Checking the Help Desk database for software problem entries. Responding to these software entries in a timely manner.
Research and Development (20%)
- Obtain and evaluate information about new systems, peripherals, and software technology.
- Take a proactive approach to future compatibility problems our software may face in the industry.
- Update inventory database, keeping track of all assets currently in the possession of the CSQA department and equipment loaned to outside CSQA groups and developers. Full department inventory is done every three months or when deemed necessary.
- Budgeting for and purchasing new equipment with appropriate approvals.
- Making sure and keeping track all equipment stay with the team.
Special projects as needed from time to time by CSQA management and outside CSQA. (15%)
- Assist in forming and improving QA systems and procedures.
- Assist in special projects from outside QA, such as demonstrations, training, surveys, focus groups, testing, marketing presentation, etc.
III. Principal Working Relationships:
Senior Management; Vice President, CSQA; Director, General Testing; Manager, Resource Administration; Quality Assurance Managers; Customer Support Senior Leads; Senior QA Project Leads; QA Project Leads; Senior Tester/Support Reps; Tester/Support Reps; other Desktop Support Technicians; Staffing Coordinator; Senior Lead CSQA Training; External Test Coordinator; Production Staff; Administrative Staff.
a) Educational Requirements :
- Four-year college or university degree with major course work in Computer Science or Entertainment related area OR a combination of experience, education, and training equivalent to a four-year college degree in Computer Science or Entertainment.
b) Special Knowledge, Skills : (Tools and Technology, Technical Skills)
- Ability to handle high pressure situations and prioritize multiple projects.
- Proven knowledge of Computers (PC and/or Macintosh) at both software and hardware levels. Strong skills with Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Familiarity with the major video game (set top box) platforms. Microsoft X-Box, Sony PlayStation 2, etc.
- Must play games on a regular basis and be familiar with the latest games, preferably on a wide variety of platforms.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and be able to work with varied staff members and personalities.
- Communicates with a high degree of understanding, conciseness and directness.
- Honesty, punctuality, and a strong work ethic.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel for Windows.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Windows server administration and software products.
- Strong knowledge of communications, on-line services and the Internet.
- Knowledge to troubleshoot hardware and software issues with PCs and Consoles.
- Knowledge to identify difference piece of hardware such as video card, sound card, network card, RAM, HDD, motherboard, CPU, etc.
c) Prior Experience/Previous Positions related to current position:
- Proven technical work experience with computers (PC and/or Macintosh) at both the software and hardware levels.
- Previous experience with QA testing is a plus.
d) Other Qualifications and/or Requirements : (Years of exp. required, key
competencies to be successful)
- Must possess excellent spoken and written communication skills and be able to work with varied staff members and personalities.
- Strong work ethic.
- Proven ability to learn and implement new software testing procedures.
- Proven ability to train new testers.
- Proven knowledge of systems, software and peripherals and their relation to various types of games.
- Ability to access any service or system quickly to obtain information.
- Must be a strong gamer, with interests in many different genres of games.
- On call on the weekend when needed.
- Willing to work long hours (8+) under pressure and be a flexible, forward-thinking team-worker.
The position requires the ability to perform essential job functions which may typically include sitting; walking; standing; bending; use of hands to type, handle or feel, reach with arms or hands, stoop, kneel, talk, see, hear and carry items such as papers, notebooks, pens, television, consoles, debug, computer, monitor or any hardware up to 50 lbs, etc. May also require occasional travel by car or plane.
Special vision requirements: 1) ability to maintain clear vision at close distances (20 inches or less) and at long distances (20 feet or more); 2) identify and distinguish between colors; 3) utilize depth perception and peripheral vision; 4) adjust to focus.
This position also requires the ability to tolerate moderate noise levels.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.