This job might no longer be available.
Bellevue, Washington, United States
7 months ago
We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo is not good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players, which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
We are seeking a leader who is both an experienced game designer and an experienced manager. This position is focused on managing other designers as opposed to creating systems or content for the game. The ideal candidate is fascinated by topics such as effective ways to motivate their team, mentoring individuals to work towards their career goals and helping design processes and procedures that improve the overall efficiency of the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following.
- Manage the individual contributors in the department.
- Ensures the ongoing training and development of direct reports.
- Ensure all reports are performing at their jobs to the highest quality and if not a plan on how to get there.
- Mentor reports towards good design principles and working habits.
- Mentors the department to have stronger design acumen.
- Guide implementations and designs.
- Help ensure reports realize the goals of a product’s Design and Interactions.
- Work with your reports throughout the development process to help strong communication, work ethic, and time management skills.
- Responsible for ensuring the design team is constantly training their design skills.
- Maintains alignment with Designers prior to review time, provide feedback to the team, and be the advisor of quality for the content as a whole.
- Serve as an emotional anchor for reports, providing stability in times of stress and uncertainty.
- Shield designers from things that would distract them from doing their jobs.
- Work with Design Director, Principle Designers and reports to manage overall health of the Design teams.
- Work with Production to maintain a realistic timeline of milestones and checkpoints for department initiatives.
- Advises Principle Designers, and Designers to create best working practices and process for design.
- Work with Principle Designers, and Designers to ensure our design standards are consistent across all ArenaNet products.
- Serve as internal game or usability critic.
- Works with the Design Director to manage overall health of the design teams
- Works with the Design Director to manage the budget and keep the design department happy and staffed appropriately.
- Acts as a conduit for the department to advocate for work-life balance needs, tools, and resources.
- Identify resource needs and work with the Design Director, Lead Designers and HR to meet those needs.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- 8 years of game design experience
- 2 years of experience managing direct reports
- Must work well in a creative team environment
- Must be an avid gamer with extensive experience playing games
- Passion for Guild Wars
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Familiarity with Word and Excel
- Ability to handle sensitive issues with empathy and tact
- Strong negotiation skills
This is a full time, on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.