Design Manager - TEMP (Books)
27 days ago
Team Name:Creative Development
Job Title:Design Manager - TEMP (Books)
Design Manager - TEMP (Books)
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a creative and experienced book design manager to work with the Blizzard Books team in Irvine, California. Blizzard Books is part of the Story & Franchise Development group which supports Blizzard Entertainment’s universes through a variety of media, including animation, cinematics, illustrations, novels, comics, and more, working with internal as well as external talent.
The book design manager will work closely with the editorial supervisor, senior producer, and art manager to provide graphic design vision for the title list, spearheading cover and interior design direction, composing unique branding for new series, and working with manufacturing on developing unique formats and cover special effects. As the graphic design lead of the group, they will play a major part in creating epic published products that grow Blizzard’s publishing program in a bold new direction.
The book design manager will also interface heavily with Blizzard’s licensing and game teams and will be the day-to-day contact for everything involving the design elements of book projects. The ideal candidate will have exceptional creativity and the ability to oversee the development of multiple projects across multiple formats at once, providing design guidance from the strategic level down to the fine details.
- Develops high-quality cover and interior designs for internal projects
- Works closely with external partners on cover and interior design direction
- Interfaces with art directors on various game teams for all design-related approvals
- Designs 6-8 books a year internally, including comics/graphic novels, anthologies/prose novels, coffee table books, and in-world lore books
- Designs 6-8 digital comics or short stories, including the localization of these projects into regions worldwide
- Supports sales team on solicitation materials and A+ content for retailer websites
- Source, hire, and direct out-of-house book designers for specialized projects
- Knowledgeable of current trends and maintains an extensive network within the comics/publishing industry
- Shepherds design work, keeps projects on a timely schedule and meets deadlines
- Works collaboratively with the editorial and game teams, as well as the book art manager
- Must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills; be able to work with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Background in licensed publishing
- Knowledge of Blizzard IPs
- Interest in Gaming Industry
- Minimum 5 years of design experience
- Book cover and interior design experience across multiple formats
- Experience working with manufacturing, including releasing files and collaborating with pre-press
- Preference given to those with a background in licensed publishing
- Preference given to those with a knowledge of Blizzard IPs and interest in the gaming industry
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and adapt to a fast-paced, iterative environment
- BFA degree or equivalent experience
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $29.81 - $55.14 Hourly. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.