This job might no longer be available.
Design Director - SUMO SHEFFIELD
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 months ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo , winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio ; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting a new AAA Core team as part of our new team expansion strategy, capable of innovating & developing the next wave of gaming.
As part of this new drive we are currently on the search for an exceptional Design Director to join our Sheffield studio. You will be working in the newly formed Core team and will be the backbone of the team’s Design discipline, additionally assisting in shaping what it looks like and helping to drive diversity as we begin to work on an exciting new project.
Within this role you will:
- DESIGN DIRECTION ~ owns and evangelises product vision to the strengths of the target platform; responsible for delivering against the product vision, upholding the design pillars.
- KNOWLEDGE ~ has broad knowledge in all areas of game production, introducing new tools, design trends and workflows.
- MENTOR ~ coaches, inspires and directs their team to foster their design and technical development for their career progression.
- BEST PRACTICES ~ ensure that best design practices are implemented and optimized within the team.
- RESOURCE PLANNING ~ determine design resource needs, budget & composition; recruit, build and train your team.
- COMMUNICATE ~ communicate the design vision to your team, studio leadership & externally; with all the required assets required to evangelise the direction and achieve buy in.
- DOCUMENTATION ~ supervise the creation & maintenance of detailed design documentation.
- PROTOTYPING ~ establish prototyping goals based on core design needs and design unknowns.
- REVIEW ~ review & feedback on game design and implementation with the team.
- SCHEDULE ~ define and allocate tasks with the leadership team, including accurately assessing the time required to complete each task.
We will need you to have:
- Full cycle experience as a Design Director, on at least 1 shipped AAA title.
- Demonstrable, hands on game design skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- A thorough understanding of current gaming trends.
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003.
We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out-of-office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
Sheffield itself offers all the benefits of a big city with a village attitude. Renowned for its friendly inhabitants and green spaces, Sheffield is a phenomenal place to live and work whether you’re just starting out in your career, or if you’re looking to establish roots and family. The city includes world-class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping and restaurants, and a third of the city lies inside the stunning Peak District National Park, offering easy access to incredible recreation and history.
Our Sheffield studio is adjacent to the Meadowhall shopping centre and its rail, tram and bus links and to the M1 motorway, making for an easy commute from places like Leeds and Nottingham.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.